Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install retractable garden hose on brick wall?

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

How to install retractable garden hose on brick wall?

IMG_7649.jpeg

IMG_7648.jpeg

Hello,

so over the weekend I bought the rectractable garden hose from Bunnings. 

I drilled the holes for the coach bolts so the wall plug can go in but it doesn’t seem to be sitting properly in the wall at the moment with almost half of them sticking out. I have attached some photos for reference.

The booklet said to drill a 10mm hole for a 8mm plug and that’s what I have done.

not sure what to do here. Looking for advice from experienced members.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install retractable garden hose on brick wall?

Hello @SaadMalik 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing your garden hose reel. Would it be possible for you to please post a few photos of the garden hose reel that you picked out? This will allow our members to assess the placement of the anchor. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @SaadMalik,

It looks like you mightn't have drilled far enough into the brick. If you've tapped them in with a hammer and they seem to be "bottoming out", this is likely the issue.

I would advise carefully taking the plugs out with some pliers, making sure not to tear them. Lining them up next to the masonry bit to gauge the depth then put a bit of tape around the masonry bit to give you a depth measure. Drill out the holes as you did before then reinsert the anchors.

Assuming everything lines up after this, you should be able to install the mounting bracket using the coach screws that were provided.

Hope this helps,

Jacob 

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

Okay so I was able resolve this issue out. Thanks @JacobZ95 - I checked the depth of the hole and it was enough. I went to Bunnings and bought the 10mmx60 Ramsey wall plugs. The main issue is the supplied wall plug is bigger than 10mm dia more like a 12mm and once I put the Ramset ones they literally went in with one tap of the hammer.

there is still one problem though. One of the holes is not lining up with the bracket. It’s only lining up 75% and I tried to put it in place but I think if I tighten it it will break the bracket. Not sure what to do. Btw the product is Holeman 20m rectractable hose reel.

IMG_7705.jpeg

IMG_7704.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

  

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hey @SaadMalik,

I’d loosen the other screws off and get the last one started before tightening everything up. It may be misaligned while everything is tight but you may find it easier to line things up if there’s a bit of movement/play. 

If this doesn’t work, you may have to move the bracket slightly and try again. 

Hopefully the first option will work,

Jacob

Hi @SaadMalik,

Some sound advice from @JacobZ95. Get all four bolts started and then go around in a clockwise fashion, tightening each bolt one revolution at a time. This will help spread the difference of the misaligned hole over the entire bracket, instead of trying to force the installed bracket to accept the bolt in the last hole.

I'll follow up with the supplier about the issue you've faced. I presume the units would come with the correct fixings, but I can see from the manual that it calls for a 10mm drill bit, and the plugs are 11.7mm, which is odd.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects