Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow blueberries in Melbourne?

Raju
Growing in Experience

How to grow blueberries in Melbourne?

Hi All,

A. I Want to grow Sweet Blueberry Bush in my Garden for which I would seek advice from Experts on the following:

1. What variety is ideal for Garden & Pot - in Melbourne?

2. Where can I buy - Single or a pair & Cost of the Seedlings?

3. What soil combination to prepare?

4. What manure to apply, as I have chicken manure stock already?

B. For my Tomato Plants(About 30 plants) which are about 9 to 10 Inches, What type of suitable Trellis/Supports, availability & Cost?

Warm regards

Y N Raju

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to grow blueberries in Melbourne?

Hello @Raju, 

Thanks for sharing your question about growing blueberries in Melbourne. We would encourage you to visit your local Bunnings store and chat to the nursery team, but you can see some of the blueberry varieties sold on the Bunnings website.

Planting a blueberry shrub in a pot is a straightforward process. I suggest starting by choosing a large container with good drainage such as the Garden City Plastic Grow Plant Pot - 500mm Black or similar, as blueberries require well-draining soil. Just remember not get anything smaller in size. 

I recommend a potting mix designed for acid-loving plants such as Scotts Osmocote 25L Rose Gardenia And Azalea Premium Potting Mix. You also have the option of creating a mix using peat moss, pine bark, and perlite. 

Position the pot in a sunny location, where it can receive at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight each day, preferably in the morning. 

When planting directly into soil, create a hole in the ground slightly larger than the root ball of the blueberry shrub. You then gently remove it from its nursery container and place it in the hole at the same depth. 

After planting, water the blueberry thoroughly, maintaining consistent moisture levels without waterlogging. Apply organic mulch for moisture retention and weed control, ensuring it's a few inches away from the base. 

Regularly fertilize with acid-loving plant fertilizer, prune as needed, and protect the ripening berries with bird netting. Keep an eye out for pests and diseases, and harvest the ripe, deep blue berries when the time comes. With proper care, your potted blueberry shrub will yield delicious fruits for your enjoyment.

Please don't use chicken manure on your blueberry shrub as they are not compatible.

In regards to your tomato trellis support, I suggest having a look at Jack 1350mm Grip And Grow Curve Vegie Frame Plant Trainer or Jack 1200mm Peach Tomato Cage.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations,

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
coffeerequired
Growing in Experience

Hi Rahul 

best varieties would be Bluecrop or Northern highbush. For best results also buy a ph kit as the soil needs to be acidic for them to thrive. Good luck. 

pH test kits are great for testing garden soils, @Raju and @coffeerequired , but don't use one for testing potting mixes because it may not give the correct results due to the very high organic content of potting mixes. Compost, mulches and other products that are predominantly organic rather than natural soil, as most potting mixes are, often give false neutral to alkaline pH readings.

If you use a bagged mix for acid-loving plants, it will have been tested professionally at the manufacturing facility to have a pH between 4.9 and 5.2 approx, which is acidic enough for blueberries.

Raju
Growing in Experience

Hi,

Thank you for your response. 

Raju Y N 

Raju
Growing in Experience

Hi EricL,

Thanks a lot for your kind response.

Raju Y N

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects