Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow Lisianthus in ACT area of Australia?

bellbird
Just Starting Out

How to grow Lisianthus in ACT area of Australia?

Over recent years I have been unsuccessful in growing Lisianthus from  expensive seed , now at 84 years of  with a diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease , I am making a determined effort to produce this beautiful flower to share with residents of my retirement village . As I am a regular shopper at Bunnings , Belconnen I wish to know whether I can order some plants of various colours . I am also enquiring about joining a garden club in Canberra .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to grow Lisianthus in ACT area of Australia

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bellbird. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about growing Lisianthus.

Growing Lisianthus from seeds can be a tricky endeavour that experts even struggle with at times. Typically, seeds would need to be germinated indoors with controlled temperature and light or in a heated greenhouse outdoors. It can take six months or more to reach the point of being able to plant them outside. Here's a helpful guide: How to grow and care for Lisianthus

You would likely have far more success growing from seedlings or small plants that already have buds set. I'd recommend speaking with the Nursery team member at Bunnings Belconnen, and they'll be able to check with our suppliers on when Lisianthus becomes available to order. Currently, they don't have any in stock, but I've managed to track some down through our supplier, Lots-A-Colour. They've only just sown the seed and expect the plants to be ready in around eight weeks. They'll be the lovely Florida Blue variety, and a wonderful Nursery team member named Barbara is keen to help you acquire some or keep their eye out for others for you. 

Let me mention a couple of our keen gardening experts, @Noelle and @mich1972, for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how to grow Lisianthus in ACT area of Australia

Hi @bellbird 

I agree completely with Mitchell.  Raising your own seedlings could be disappointing as lisianthus are known to be quite difficult.  Far better to take his advice and aim to grow them from seedlings.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to grow Lisianthus in ACT area of Australia?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bellbird. I'm sure you'll get loads of inspiration and advice from our helpful community members for all your garden projects. 

Just wanted to add that you can find and book workshops, including garden club, at your local store via the Bunnings website

Just click on Stores at the top of the page, then Find a store, then click on the More details option when your chosen store has appeared.

This will take you to a page where you can see and book upcoming workshops. For example, here is the page for Belconnen.  

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to grow Lisianthus in ACT area of Australia?

Apologies for the late response @bellbird. I agree Lisianthus is a tricky one to grow from seed. But gee whizz are they stunning when they come into the stores in full flower 😍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects