Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of paspalum weed taking over my lawn?

lcordeiro
Finding My Feet

How to get rid of paspalum weed taking over my lawn?

C6728A2C-ACD5-4569-BE65-75B46497E245.jpeg

2716DF7E-59FA-4678-A338-11FC6BB6A722.jpeg

Hello, I’m currently trying to figure out how to deal with this weed that is taking over my lawn. 
I suspect this is a paspalum type of weed, but I’d love for someone to confirm that and also recommend what’s the best treatment approach for this particular scenario as I’m not a experienced Gardner at all 😕

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of paspalum weed taking over my lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lcordeiro. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing weeds from a lawn.

I'd agree that it looks to be Paspalum.

To remove Paspalum from a lawn, you can use a selective herbicide such as David Grays 500ml Crab Grass and Clover Killer. It is recommended to spot-spray the herbicide to avoid damaging the surrounding grass. Alternatively, you can use weedkiller in a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush. With this method, you can paint the tips of the Paspalum without affecting your lawn.

Another option is to manually remove the weeds by digging them out, but this can be time-consuming and difficult for larger areas.

Maintaining a healthy lawn is key to preventing weeds from taking over. Make sure to water and fertilize your lawn regularly and aerate it to improve soil health. Here's a helpful guide on How to care for your lawn.

Remember your PPE when spraying and mixing herbicides including a face mask, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers, and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects