Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need more pot holes in my weird pots?

StefanOrfanos
Just Starting Out

Do I need more pot holes in my weird pots?

Hey gang! I recently bought a few Northcote Pottery 98cm Grey Savannah Planter for my driveway/garage. It was starting to look a bit sad and needed some life. I’m super happy with how it’s starting to look (see photo attached). 

image.jpg

I’m having a bit of a dilemma. The pot plant has a weird inward facing cone which is about 2cm high. I think it’s to allow water to exit. My understanding is that the reason why drainage holes are important is because plants can feel like they are drowning when they can’t get rid of excess water and it stresses the plant. The pot came with no handbook/guide/user info booklet. The Bunnings webpage and Northcote Pottery webpage mention nothing about this weird little inward cone or it’s purpose. Is the cone a drainage hole? Isn’t it a bad idea for water to not be able to exit for 2cm? Wouldn’t that stress the plant? Should I be drilling a drainage hole or two? Does anyone know what the cone is for?

87E8265C-E76C-4E9C-9E10-1AC294DB85A3.jpeg

D1204427-22DB-4470-99CC-DD0DB4787952.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need more pot holes in my weird pots?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @StefanOrfanos. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about drainage holes.

The conical riser is to prevent the stacked pots from jamming together in transport. To add drainage to the pots, you'll just need to drill several 10mm holes in the base of them.

You're correct that without drainage, or if you only drilled out the conical riser, your plant's roots would sit in water. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects