Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix wooden garden steps?

James_M
Growing in Experience

How to fix wooden garden steps?

Hi,

I have these wooden steps in my garden. One of the wooden slats is broken and I'm wondering if there is any advice on how I'd fix it?

What oil or sealant should be used on all the steps to freshen and protect them?  

20221123_175657.jpg

20221123_175704.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix wooden garden steps

Hello @James_M

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's brilliant to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your wooden garden steps.

Looking at the photo you posted it seems that the original coating of these steps has totally worn off. Some of the slats look like they are still in good condition, however, those slats with deep cracks in them will need to be replaced. I suggest using H3 treated pine decking panel, but before you replace the panels, I propose cleaning the surface with Feast Watson 1L Woodclean, after cleaning the surface of the steps, you'll have a much better idea of which panels to replace. 

Now that you've cleaned your steps, the next step is to sand the surface of the steps to prepare it for painting. As to the type of oil or sealant to use, I suggest going to your local store and visiting the paint department. In there you'll find stain and oil samples for decking, these are all applicable to your steps. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

These guides I've noted are all applicable to your timber steps. My only other reminder for you is to make sure you have the correct measurement of a single panel so that you can compare it to the ones at the store. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
James_M
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fix wooden garden steps

Thanks Eric. I'll give those tips a go and see if I need any extra help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects