Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Gardenline lawn mower not starting?

dajeya
Finding My Feet

How to fix Gardenline lawn mower not starting?

I have a Gardenline  essential lawn mower. It is not firing.  This does not have a primer. I cleaned the caburator and tried . Still not working.. I think fuel is not injected into the chamber. In a machine without the primer how, how the fuel is injected for initial firing?

David

Lawn mower.jpgIMG_6549.jpg

Re: How to fix Gardenline lawn mower not starting?

Hi Mitchell, thanks for your suggestion, take it to a mower tech. Do you know how much they charge? Not less than $150. Why I should I take the trouble in carting and paying so much. I can buy a new one. I decided to throw it. Thanks for the discussion.

dajeva

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's understandable, @dajeya. I do apologise, but you've now gone through all basic troubleshooting, including an advanced step of cleaning the carburettor. At this point, you'd be looking at replacing parts in the hopes that it would resolve the issue and that in itself can be a costly exercise.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

This machine does not have a primer to inject fuel to start the machine. How can it start when you pull the starter rope? Is there a automatic choke which inject the fuel when you pull the cord? if so where is it?

When I physically inject a little fuel into the carb through the air filter and start, it starts with 2 pull.

dajeya

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dajeya,

A lawn mower without a priming bulb typically uses a gravity-fed fuel system or a diaphragm carburettor to inject fuel into the combustion chamber for the initial ignition. In both systems, the engine's mechanical action, such as pulling the starter cord, creates suction that draws fuel from the fuel tank into the carburettor and then into the combustion chamber, enabling the engine to start.

A blockage in the fuel or return lines could prevent the fuel from being drawn to the carburettor.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

My carb is not a diaphragm type. If there is a blockage in the fuel line, the machine will not keep running once it starts running. How suction is created to pump fuel into the carb when you pull the cord? What is the mechanism here? What is the function of the black tube that is running from the rotter to the air filter housing?

dajeya

IMG_6564 (002).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

In a lawn mower with a non-diaphragm carburettor, the suction needed to pump fuel into the carburettor when starting is generated by the engine's intake stroke. When you pull the starter cord, the engine's piston moves downward, creating a vacuum in the combustion chamber. This vacuum draws air in through the carburettor, which in turn draws fuel from the fuel tank through the fuel line and into the carburettor.

The black tube running from the carburettor to the air filter housing is likely the crankcase breather tube. Its function is to vent gases from the engine's crankcase, allowing them to be drawn into the carburettor and burned in the combustion chamber. This helps to prevent pressure buildup in the crankcase, which could lead to oil leaks or other issues. Additionally, it helps to reduce emissions by ensuring that any unburned gases are circulated back into the engine for combustion.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects