Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill small gap between deck and house?

minjsiow
Getting Established

How to fill small gap between deck and house?

Hi team, I'm building a DIY deck for the first time and have been facing difficulties for over a month without completing it yet. I started laying the deck from the end and noticed a small gap (5cm from the wall and deck, 8.5cm from the door and deck) between the house and the deck. I can't adjust the starting deck position due to the base frame, and trimming the decking board in this narrow space is challenging. What's the best solution in this case? Appreciate your advice.

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

Re: How to fill small gap between deck and house?

Thanks, Mitchell! Great advice.

I'm nearly done with the installation and just need to address the final board of the picture frame. The problem is that the edge board (Ekodeck classic board) overhangs more than the base frame. Therefore, if I install the fascia board on the frame, it won't cover the grooves. Is there a solution to this issue without cutting the edges?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill small gap between deck and house?

Cutting the board is the typical method @minjsiow. You can either trim the groove off or cut the board back to the joist and then attach the fascia board over its cut edge.

I can't think of any other method unless there is 22mm of overhang on the decking board. If so, you might be able to place one board underneath it on the joist and then screw a second fascia board on top of it that covers the groove on the decking board.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects