Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control bugs on vegetable bed?

ArunM
Cultivating a Following

How to control bugs on vegetable bed?

Hello,

We live in Brisbane and seem to have problems on our garden bed with bugs eating into some of our produce / leaves. 

We tried neem oil extract so far with limited success. Anybody in the community has had any luck with this ? Please suggest something I can use to control the bugs.  

1000033175.jpg

1000033176.jpg

Arun 

synta
Growing in Experience

Re: How to control bugs on vegetable bed?

Hi @ArunM , it does look like the 28-spotted ladybird (Epilachna), not as beneficial as most ladybirds as it's a leaf eater (particularly potato leaves) though still part of ecosystem. In small numbers, generally won't cause too much damage though if there's a lot and it's affecting your harvest then you may need to get firm with them. Couple sites that also provide a bit more info on this beetle: 26/28 Spotted Ladybug Pest Management on Potatoes & Other Crops - Self Sufficient Me and  How to control the 28 spotted leaf eating ladybird organically | Organic Gardener Magazine Australia...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Geez @ArunM! Those bugs are giving me Starship Troopers vibes. They are certainly impressive creatures. 

They appear to be a variety of Oncopeltus zonatus, more commonly known as milkweed bugs. If it's a localised infestation, you might like to remove them with a gloved hand and dispose of them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ArunM and @mich1972 

Not really sure!  There appears to be one large brown one across the centre which looks a little like a shield bug but the others with the longer legs - can't really tell.  Shield bugs are not good to have on vegies as they chomp l;eaves etc.  The long legged ones could be beneficials that aid in controlling bad bugs, but that's purely a guess as the photo isn't really close enough for a better ID.

ArunM
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc . The starship troopers are winning this one atm. :smile:

I am trying with pyrethrum weekly once and also neem oil fairly regularly. I feel like there are some improvements now. So I will continue and see. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep up the good fight, @ArunM! It's great to hear there have been some improvements.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects