Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an upcycled garden gate?

kitfriendesq
Getting Established

How to build an upcycled garden gate?

My wife fancied us doing a version of this upcycled garden tool gate for our side return...

Garden Gate Example.jpeg

Inevitably actual construction is somewhat more complex and I'm still not used to the local selection of timber etc coming over from the UK so could do with some help please - once I've got materials sorted I'm happy with all the carpentry fun. Anticipating slight issues making sure the gate doesn't slump under the weight of tools at 1.5m wide in our scenario (might end up needing a diagonal reinforcement one side).

I've knocked up a quick sketchup model with the dimensions etc (actual tools will vary, but cloned for the sketch) https://app.sketchup.com/share/tc/northAmerica/Qh5rze4Rm-k?stoken=we9dYmN0NzuqAFnad5xxwkww-Y4DriWnS1... 

Side Gate (1).pngSide Gate.png

My starter questions! - 

1) I've assumed doing 2 metal posts would be better for longevity than wood, so modelled 2 Australian Handyman Supplies 75 x 75mm x 2.4m Galvanised Steel Fence Post - is this a good idea, and if so, what's the best approach to doing rails for the palings and gate hinges to attach to? I can find a tutorial for wood fence posts notching in, but not much on doing it with steel fence posts... maybe I'm mix and matching approaches too much.

2) Palings wise for the sides I've assumed 75 x 16mm 1.8m Fence Paling H3 Treated Pine Batten Wet but recommendations welcome

3) For fence railings and the gate frame I'd slightly randomly picked 75 x 38mm 4.8m Fence Rail H3 Treated Pine Wet Sawn but any more logical pick for either welcome. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled ha

Hello @kitfriendesq 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a tool gate. The 75x38 for fence railing is fine but for the gate frame I suggest 90x45 as it will be carrying a fair bit of weight. In regards to the rails to the steel posts, I suggest using heavy duty angle brackets at the top and bottom. I recommend using Pinnacle 300mm Zinc Plated Heavy Duty Tee Hinge for the gate itself. Using 75x16 paling is perfectly fine for the fence. 

I agree with your analysis that the gate might require a diagonal brace to prevent it from sagging. 

My best advice is not to get anything less than H3 so that it is rated for outside use. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please et us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric, fabulous recommendations! 

For the angle brackets - what would you recommend for bolting them to the posts? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kitfriendesq 

Depending on the type of bracket you'll be using, I suggest looking at the Hex Head Self Tapping Steel Screws for the steel post. For the timber side, I recommend the Zenith 8 - 10 x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head External Timber Screws.

Please make sure to test and match your screws with your choice of angle brackets before finalizing your choice.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build an upcycled garden gate?

Morning @kitfriendesq 

Now thats an outside the box gate! :smile: Love it and cant wait to see it finished! :smile:

I am thinking along the lines of @EricL 's suggestions but maybe modify it slightly.

First way

Split the gate into two, either down teh center or 1/3 one side and 2/3rds the other. That way the weight wont be all on one post. You could also add a wheel to teh base of the gate to help the support (have teh wheel inside so its not seen so easily.

Second way

Use fencing wire as the "stay" for the cross bracing? Lighter then adding another piece of timber and with the wheel idea added as well.

Please take lots of photos to show how you do it as I think this will look pretty nice when you have installed it!

dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks like a fantastic project @kitfriendesq 

"I've assumed doing 2 metal posts would be better for longevity than wood"

For, me I'd go all steel - posts and gate frame. Big drop down hinges. You can then take it off multiple times to play with the gardening tools and their attachment/position. I'd try 100mm X 100mm steel posts with one well and truly buried in concrete. With this post in place I believe your 1.5 metre span would be achievable without any other bracing.  Even some of those tools could be welded to the gate frame.

20240409_094148.jpg

In your UK photo example above the gate frame is wood?

Bored holes or joined two pieces to encapsulate the shovel handles?

Cheers!

Holes.PNG

Love these ideas - thankyou @Dave-1

Thanks @Noyade - great ideas also!

In the example (I think) and my plan I'd assumed the frame was wood and bored holes but the two halves solution feels like a good one and gives me more flex on whether I get tools with poles or wider handles. I think I'll definitely still go metal poles for the supports either side though as you say 👍

Metal gate frame would be nice but I'm not a confident welder/have the equipment handy so I'll probably try to focus on a carpentry-based solution 😁

G'day@kitfriendesq 

"but I'm not a confident welder"

You look young, fit and healthy - you're never too old to try. 😁

Steel is actually more forgiving than wood - you can cover up a lotta mistakes. 😁

Good luck to you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects