Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add irrigation to a planter box?

janine22
Just Starting Out

How to add irrigation to a planter box?

Hi, I have irrigation pipe to the bottom of a planter box. I wish to run the pipe up to the top of the planter box. Is there an easy way to get the water ""uphill"? Or is it just I don't have enough pressure to get the water to the top of the plater box?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Irrigating to a planter box

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @janine22. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing irrigation.

You might like to post an image of your planter box and what you're working with so our helpful members are better informed and able to offer useful suggestions. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images. 

Water typically needs pressure behind it to run uphill. This pressure can be from your mains water line or a gravity-fed system where the storage container is above the height of the planter box. What sort of water source is the pipe connected to?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alx
Cultivating a Following

Re: Irrigating to a planter box

Hi, have you looked at a wicking system or self watering. Basically you have a reservoir of water at the bottom of the planter with some form of matting between the top of the water and the soil. The principal is that the soil will draw up the water and feed the roots of the plants. Check out utube for self water/irrigation planter boxes.

kind regards

Alex

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects