Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I move my small Persimmon Tree? I wanted to have another tree separately.

gavin16
Growing in Experience

How do I move my small Persimmon Tree? I wanted to have another tree separately.

Hi, Need valuable advice on my small persimmon tree. I wanted to move the small persimmon tree to grow on its own and question is : How do I move my small persimmon tree to a location where I can plant it separately?

Can I dig it and move it? I believe it is grown on a root base underneath, would that root base belongs to the mother tree? can it be chopped and replanted ? 

If I leave it next to its mother tree, I'm afraid it won't grow normally as it is hindered by the larger mother tree.  Furthermore, the mother tree is bearing fruits...

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks. IMG20221203192011.jpgIMG20221203192112.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I move my small Persimmon Tree? I wanted to have another tree seperately.

Hi @gavin16,

It looks like you've already begun some exploratory work, and you'll need to carefully continue that to know if the shoot can be transplanted. If it has shot up from a secondary root of the mother plant, then you could sever it if it has fine roots attached. If it's come from a larger root, then I wouldn't suggest you remove it as you could compromise the mother plant.

Although it sounds like a good idea to relocate the shoot and have two plants, consider that you might be doing more harm than good. Purchasing one might be a better option if you wanted a second plant.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gavin16
Growing in Experience

Re: How do I move my small Persimmon Tree? I wanted to have another tree seperately.

Thank you and yes, I have actually started to dig some to see if it can be easily removed without compromising the mother plant. However, if I were to leave it as it is, will it continue to grow and bear fruit given that it was near the mother plant? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gavin16

I would say that the odds of the young tree growing are very good. In theory, it is still part of the overall root system of the mother tree, but in about three years it will have matured to grow its own root ball system. As @MitchellMc has mentioned if it is still part of the mother tree, moving it is not recommended. I suggest visiting the tree in a year's time and seeing if it has established its own root system. If it has, you can then begin making plans on transplanting it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects