Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hedging plant suggestions please

Nic1979
New Contributor

Re: Hedging plant suggestions please

Not yet greygardener. We thought we should wait until Spring to plant something. 

Do you know what this is? I saw it when walking the dog. It's relatively new but looks beautiful. 

hedge.jpg

greygardener
Valued Contributor

I am not sure. @Branchy249 might be able to identify it for you Nic.

trayzee67
Junior Contributor

Hi POPPINS, thanks for the tip, Im thiking same as you Red ROBIN. but im just not sure if they can tolerate the heat  and  -4 temps we get also we have black soil ?????.  I do love them however and they are are great height. Thanks again . trayzee 67

tj67
poppins
Budding Contributor

Red Robin is a tough  plant, I have seen a large hedge go under in a floods and at the same place out in a very hot sun as well as frost and - 4 degs maybe less as its close to a gully. Mine is the same out in the sun and never gets watered plus we had -3 deg this year and its out in flower now. 

poppins
Budding Contributor

Don't  worry about the cold or frost they are tough, we went down to - 4 degs and been out in full sun and now they are in flower. 

trayzee67
Junior Contributor

trayzee67,
Im really enjoying all the input everyone is giving each other , and its cetainly helping myself, I never realized how Difficult it is to select a "Hedge or Tree" Screen. espically when it is so dry here in Toowoomba/ it seems a contradiction as you see all the flowers etc out for "Carnival of Flowers ". A nursery today specializing in Australian natives" told me not to bother planting anything .. as its so dry and wait for rain.!!

You all have been so very helpful and i look forward to logging in more. Just a note I dont want to steal the gardening areas THUNDER as its AMAZING!! but on facebook a great place to go if you want a plant identifed is What Plant is That. just post a picture and in less than a day they seem to know. as they identified a red plant i posted on here, . But Im so glad i found this site.
tj67
Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Many thanks for the feedback @trayzee67, much appreciated.

Feel free to ask the Workshop community if you want any plants identified. This has been a popular thread - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garden/Name-the-plant/m-p/2692

It might also be timely to create a discussion for how to deal with the very dry conditions we're experiencing in much of the country. It certainly seems like it's going to be a tough summer ahead. 

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects