Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hedging plant suggestions please

Nic1979
Finding My Feet

Hedging plant suggestions please

Hedge.jpg

Hello,

We are looking at using a hedge to soften the front of our brick house. Can anyone suggest a good plant for us? We don't want to have to be constantly trimming it, and aren't brilliant at keeping plants alive. Not keen on Lilly Pilly as the neighbours have some and they drop berries over our fence. We are in the Melbourne suburbs.  

Thanks,

Nic

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Hedging plant suggestions please

As long as you are very patient, then I would suggest a Camelia Sasanqua. They are beautiful. 

For something faster growing, look at Murrayas. They are very easy to grow, will typically reach a height of a couple of metres, are easy to prune into shape, have lovely green folliage and creamy white flowers in sping and summer with a lovely orange fragrance. 

MurrayaPaniculataBMs800.jpg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What colour are your bricks @Nic1979? Depending on the colour of your house then you might want to consider a photinia for its striking fiery red leaves. The flowers aren't very attractive but its very tough and easy to grow. They are popular in my area. 

Photinia.png

CathD
Making a Splash

Yes, agree that camellia hedges are lovely.

Thank you.

Will look at camelias and murrayas. Not sure the red photinia would work as its a red brick house. Are camelias easy to grow and care for?

Thanks again,

Nic

Camellias are hardy and grow well pretty much anywhere in Australia. They certainly do well in Melbourne and have a really long flowering season. They don't mind a bit of frost. In summer you need to give them some water but they aren't too thirsty. Most of the hedging varieties don't mind full sun even in the middle of summer, although you should get a bit of shade from your house. Hope that helps. 

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

Pittosporum's are also a good alternative. They are pretty hardy and can tolerate a lack of attention. They come in a range of different shades of green. Depending on the variety that you get, they can grow relatively quickly. Once established and at teh height and shape that you are after, they will only need a trim a couple of times a year.

Another option would be to use magnolias - i know it's not your traditional screening plant but has lovely glossy green leaves with a rust undertone and has beautiful perfumed flowers. Can be slow growing and you can varieties that only grow to 1 to 2 metres - plus you can trim them to keep them at your desired height and shape.
poppins
Growing in Experience

Red Robin are great, we have them in town and they have been under water with each flood and out in the boiling sun and never gets watered. Iam now growing them very hardy plant. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @poppins. I'm sure @Nic1979 really appreciates your input. Great to see you back on Workshop. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Did you decide what to grow Nic?

The camellia at the front of our place is just starting to flower. It will look spectacular in a few weeks.

Camellia Front.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects