Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grazing tray for chickens

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Grazing tray for chickens

IMG_1059.jpeg

Good Morning Workshop Community Friends. I made our girls a Grazing Tray. Quick , easy and safe. I just used PVC pipe, Mesh with small holes and cable ties. Chickens need to graze on greens, whether it’s grass, weeds, lettuce etc. Yes they can destroy the lawn with their scratching when you let them free range. That’s why we extended the chicken run for more room for them to forage, but away from the lawn. They get plenty of greens daily but I wanted to make this so it actually becomes a boredom buster as well! 

Materials

IMG_0904.jpeg

Materials for the project 

40mm PVC Pipe 

Wire Mesh 600 x 900mm - hole 12.7mm

Cable Ties 200mm

Wheat and Barley Seed from the Stockfeeders 

Tools

No tools required, easy as

Steps

Step 1

IMG_0910.jpeg

IMG_0912.jpeg

IMG_0914.jpeg

Simply cable tie each piece of pipe to the mesh. I found it easier threading the cable ties on first and then securing them nice and tight. Yes you will need a piece in the middle as the girls can be a bit heavy 😆 😆 I’m happy with the height of it, it is tall enough for the grass to grow through it. You could make it to the size you want. 
I didn’t want to use treated timber because of the chemicals and I didn’t want to use untreated timber that would swell when wet, so the PVC is perfect. 

Step 2

IMG_0920.jpeg

Ready to place into the Chook Run. Straight onto the ground. I got a couple of bags from the Stockfeeders - Wheat and Barley. 
Liberally add the seed. I didn’t even bother to cover with soil, need to, if you want to just cover very lightly. 
It’s important to keep the seeds moist, so hand watering every day. 

Step 3

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

And Day 6 the wheat and barley seeds are germinating nicely and the girls can eat it, pecking away the tips of the grass. Now it really becomes a Boredom Buster  !!!!!!

Step 4

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

And there you have a Grazing Tray for your girls 🐓🐓🐓🐓

Once it’s done, I will move around the Run. Just remember that the holes need to be small enough that they can’t eat all the seed and they are happy to walk on. 
Backyard Chickens are a wonderful Family friendly addition to your Garden. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grazing tray for chickens

That's such a neat project @mich1972! I've never seen something like that before. What a great idea and I'm sure your girls appreciate the entertainment.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Simple, easy and the girls are happy 😆 thanks @MitchellMc 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @mich1972 

How good is that! I had intended to build one out of a timber frame one day (have 2/3rds of a chook pen done) but had never thoughtof using PVC pipe :smile: Brilliant! Nice outside the timber thinking :smile:

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Dave 😃🐓

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects