Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grape vine supported between fence posts

Bankzee
Having an Impact

Grape vine supported between fence posts

Planted a Seedless Grape Vine against the back fence and wanted to provide horizontal support for it. Decided to use existing Galvanised Steel Posts to run wire over a span of 9 metres.

Steps

Step 1

Fed the Round Rings onto the Panel Fix Clips.

Removed the nuts on the bolts that support the fence to the posts and attached the Jacks Mesh Panel Fix Clips at either end then secured the nuts back on to the bolts. Fed the Wire Rope Thimble through the ring at one end. 

5.jpg

Hooked the Turnbuckle through the ring at the other end and connected a rope thimble to the turnbuckle.

IMG_1972.jpg

Attached Mesh Panel Clips to the middle Posts as added support for the wire. 

6.jpg

Fed the wire rope through the clips and around both thimbles.

Secured both ends with Wire Rope Grips using an adjustable wrench to tighten with a small amount of slack in the Wire Rope.

Secured the surplus Wire Rope with Zip Ties along itself to make it neat and tidy.

4.jpg

2.jpg

Rotate the Turnbuckle to tighten the slack.

All that is left is to train the Vine along the wire, gently tighten the turnbuckle if the vine weight causes wire to drop and prune as necessary then just wait a few seasons for the grapes to grow.

1.jpg

I painted the fence first using Walpamur Charcoal Fence Paint as I find the green vine leaves or any green leaved plant really pop in front of the Charcoal coloured fence. Also in Winter the Grape Vine loses its leaves and the painted fence looks nicer than boring aged hardwood palings.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Grape vine supported between fence posts

Looks great @Bankzee, well done.

I'm sure this project will be popular with other Bunnings Workshop community members as fence screening solutions are always in demand.

Thanks for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Bankzee 

Nice way to use some not used so much space! I did have two grape vines ... did is the word :smile: They died as I forgot to water them (they were in pots)

I was going to go to the expense of posts and mesh  but like the way you have done it.

Will keep that in mind for my next "try" :smile:

How fast do the vines grow in general? Its something I have always wondered about?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliment. The grape vine seen in the picture is 2 years old but I have noticed that since I have started training it along the horizontal wires it has started to speed up its growth, not sure whether this is caused by the horizontal support or the abundance of rain and sun we have had recently. The fence is on my western boundary so the vine faces east so gets in excess of 6 hours of sunlight. Grape vines do need a bit of water and their root system needs some space to spread out so Pots are not ideal unless you intend to keep the water up to it and give it a regular haircut. 

The photo I have attached below is an ornamental grape vine and trellis project I did on the western facing brick wall of my house. I designed it as a solution to keep the sun off the brick which has reduced the heat inside the house tremendously. The bricks are no longer a heat sink and most importantly when I need the heat in winter, the vine loses its leaves so a win on both counts, not to mention how good it looks. This vine is 4 years old and grows at a very rapid rate, it provided shade over the whole wall in 2 years. It is so rapid that the vine grows about a foot a day in ideal conditions. This is a single plant that is planted beneath the window on the left. I now find myself training it to the front of the house and will continue to do so as long as it keeps wanting to grow.

I can do this as a Workshop Project post if there is interest.

Ornamental Grape shading the West WallOrnamental Grape shading the West Wall

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Bankzee 

Now that is a brilliant idea with keeping the heat off the bricks! I have deciduious trees in my front yard, liquid ambers (I top to keep them in line), crepe myrtles and a fig tree. In summer the yard is shaded by all the green foilage and in winter "boom" they all drop their leaves :smile:

Dave

Dave,I was quite chuffed with the Ornamental Grape and Trellis, it was so simple once I got past the fear of drilling into my house bricks. The brick temp has reduced by about 10 degrees in Summer which makes such a difference to the internal temp on that side of the house late in a summer evening.

The liquid ambers must put on such a show in Autumn for you, I thought about such trees in my front yard however as it is rather small and sitting higher than road level with an old sandstone retaining wall I decided to avoid any medium to large trees whose root system may not appreciate the work and cost involved in replacing said retaining wall. 

As for the fig, I have one of those just up from the Grape that the original post showed. What I did with it was get the two main branches, each measuring about 2 metres, and trained them to grow along the base of the fence to the left and right of the centre trunk. This now ensures a wider coverage of the fig tree and instead of a single tall Fig, I have all these vertical branches coming up from the two laterals which increases fruiting area and also provides a nice green foreground in front of the paling fence. As seen in the below pic. 

But despite all this, I would give them all up for a beautiful Liquid Amber and Crepe Myrtle in my front yard.

Have added a photo below that shows another benefit of the Ornamental Grape, it frames my dining window when looking out into the backyard. Such a treat especially when the small birds hop through the vine looking for caterpillars.

Dining Window FramedDining Window Framed

Banksy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects