Workshop
Ask a question

Why has my eggplant not produced fruit?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Why has my eggplant not produced fruit?

Hello Team,

Happy Easter! I need your advice on my Egg plant, please have a look at the pics - the plants have grown well (planted 5 months ago), but not even a single egg plant yet. Is this normal wait or some problems with the plants? Please advise. Thanks.

20240329_095035.jpg20240329_095040.jpg20240329_095022.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Egg Plant

Hi @balaji27,

Given your plants look quite healthy and you have flowers, I suspect that pollination is an issue especially if you do not get many bees in your garden. I'd recommend you give hand pollinating a go to see if that resolves your issue. To hand pollinate an eggplant flower, gently tap or shake the flower to release pollen onto a small brush or cotton swab. Then, transfer the collected pollen to the stigma of other open flowers by lightly brushing it. Repeat this process for all open flowers to enhance pollination and improve fruit set.

Moving forward to attract pollinating bees and insects, plant a diverse range of flowers that bloom continuously, avoid pesticides, and provide nesting sites like bee hotels and water sources. This creates a hospitable environment for pollinators, boosting garden productivity.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc for the prompt reply. I will follow your advice and see how it goes.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hello @MitchellMc, I followed your advice and got my first eggplant in my plant, please refer to the pic. Hope there will be more growing soon. Is that anything I should do further to get eggplants produced, please advise. Thanks Balaji.20240413_081018.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @balaji27,

It's fantastic that the advice @MitchellMc is already proving fruitful.

As Mitch said earlier, your plant looks healthy so there's not much I can advise beyond regular watering, mulch for water retention and the application of some Liquid & Soluble Fertiliser at regular intervals as per the product's instructions.

You might like to have a look at this helpful article for some further information.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

Jacob

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks @JacobZ for your inputs and sharing the guide, much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects