Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save my Albany Woolly bush?

SEABEE
Just Starting Out

How to save my Albany Woolly bush?

Albany Woolly Bush.jpg

I have Googled this plant that is eating the bark of my Albany Woolly Bush and slowly killing it as the bark is removed. In my research I have come to the conclusion that it may be a spider mite and probably the black spider mite. There are small black spots within the brown crumble cover.

I have used Richgro Bug Killa systemic insecticide a week ago. But I haven't noticed any change however it may be too early for the insecticide to have an effect. 

I am planning to hose the infestation off the trees to prevent further damage. 

Can anyone identify the insect? Secondly is the action I am taking appropriate?

Many Thanks

SeaBee

HitOrMiss
Finding My Feet

Re: How to save my Albany Woolly Bush

spider mites start leaving webbing and will normally affect the outer leaves of the plant first. generally
thrips have very similar damage to mites but it will normally start on the inner leaves of the plant. generally
the required action taken would be the same for both, you need to be very thorough when spraying the leaves for them though.

i looked up the richgro bug killa, says you get 2 months protection and not to apply more than twice within a year, takes about 2 weeks to start working.
i would wait awhile before re applying that, it may also be to early to say if it is or is not working if it has been a week.

i am not very familiar with these plants so i do not really have a suggestion as to what it may be, sorry, but if you think what you have sprayed is not working, maybe consider a hort or neem oil, with the oils it is good to do a follow up a week or 2 later depending on the life cycle of what you are spraying for.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save my Albany Woolly bush?

Hi @SEABEE,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community it is great to have you with us.

I am pleased to see you've already had some advice from our knowledgeable member @HitOrMiss

These resources might also be useful for you:

Let me also tag some other garden gurus to see if they can provide further assistance:

@Noelle, @mich1972, @ChloeThomson.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @SEABEE 

I'd agree with @HitOrMiss that it is too early to know if the systemic insecticide you've applied is working and, because the pest is so small, the effects may not be all that obvious anyway. I would leave the plant alone for another couple of weeks before hosing off the brown, barky deposits and any pests within it.

Once the systemic insecticide starts to work, it will kill off any other bugs/pests that could also be present chewing on the bark or sucking sap. Its effectiveness should last at least several months.

Whether your woolly bush will recover, or not, depends on how extensive the damage to the bark may be, and you won't be able to tell that until you've blasted off the debris in a couple of weeks.

SEABEE
Just Starting Out

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. @Noelle I was hesitant to leave the brown minute ball bearing conglomeration on large and small branches particularly at the junction of spreading small branches. I have used systemic spray bfore but not the granular form so I will follow your recommendation and wait a couple of weeks. before hosing the insect off.

Hitormiss I am also of the opinion that the infestation is not a spider mite, but the conglomeration of tiny brown balls joined together pointed me in that direction however spider mite tends to suck not chew. I have continued looking but have been unsuccessful so far.

Cheers 

SeaBee

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects