Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to trim this new blood orange tree?

Rach23
Building a Reputation

Do I need to trim this new blood orange tree?

46943D32-CC24-4AE7-8068-4E8EAA3431EC.jpegI bought this blood orange tree from Bunnings in May this year. I have added fertiliser and the new leaves have opened up nice and green. I noticed that there is a few flowers on it.

This is the first time I ever bought an orange tree so would like some advice if I need to prune it as the leaves are quite dense together. Or is this normal and I just need to wait for the tree to mature a bit before the branches space out?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to trim this new bloody orange tree?

Hello @Rach23 

Thanks for sharing your question about your orange tree. I suspect that the fertilizer that you used had a lot of nitrogen in it. This will cause foliage to grow but will not encourage flowering. Can you please tell me what fertilizer you used on the orange? 

At this point if the leaves are green and healthy, I suggest leaving them to promote further growth. I believe the time to trim the orange is after the first harvest. But at this point in time the tree is trying to grow stronger and establish itself. 

Here is a handy link on how to look after an orange tree:    How to grow, prune and care for an orange tree

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rach23
Building a Reputation

When I first took it home in May, there were alot of baby leaves and those leaves were quite pale yellow green so I sprinkled some powerfeed fertiliser for fruit/citrus (orange lid). I assumed it was ok as the leaves turned greener as it grew bigger.

As the tree is now flowering (you can’t see the flowers under the leaves, last week, I dug in some poultry manure. But looking at the tree, the top looks very dense and I am skeptical if the tiny branches can hold the weight of an orange.
Do I treat the orange tree like a lemon tree and pick off those tiny orange starts (the green tops that remain after the flowers drop off). 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Rach23 

Your feeding program so far is good BUT do not dig in fertiliser or manure around citrus trees!  They have very shallow root systems and really resent any disturbance to their roots at all, so sprinkle fertiliser or manure on the surface and water well without working the soil or potting mix at all.

Your tree has put on a good spurt of growth - it may be another two or three years before it feels mature enough to set fruits from its flowers.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Rach23 Your Orange tree looks lush and healthy. @EricL @Noelle  Have both given great advice and I definitely agree with Noelle that Citrus trees HATE their roots being disturbed if you start digging around them. 🍊 🍋 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rach23 

At this point in time, I suggest removing the small buds and flowers so that the tree can concentrate on its growth.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rach23
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL @Noelle and @mich1972 . All the flowers and those green tips have been removed today.

Thank you for the tip re manure. Wasn’t aware I wasn’t meant to dig it into the ground for citrus trees. Always thought if manure, then have to work into the soil. Maybe that is why my lemon tree never has much fruits on it - but plenty of flowers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects