Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Blueberry bush berries are all wrinkly

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Blueberry bush berries are all wrinkly

Nellie Kellie 1.jpgNellie Kellie 2.jpgNellie Kellie 3.jpgNellie Kellie 4.jpg

So here are some photos of my Nellie Kellie Blueberry bush, I have had it for around 5 years.. in that time it has consistently set fruit. I do not usually get any fruit as they will suddenly all go wrinkly and then fall off eventually. I have gotten two berries off this plant, they were perfect and that was about 3 weeks ago. This plant is in a 50:50 mix of pine bark and azalea mix. I do not understand this plant.. I have three blue berry bursts and they do very well, what is it with this plant??? We are in the Canterbury area of Sydney, if that helps. I cant say its due to the awful weather because its always done this, it is full of flowers then full of fruit they get to this size and then go wrinkly and die. I would love to get the chance to eat these berries.

If anyone knows the reason, please tell me.

Kind regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Blueberry Bush berries are all wrinkly

Hi @AngryBird,

I suspect your plant might have some type of fungal infection like anthracnose fruit rot. Let me mention our knowledgeable gardens @Noelle, @Adam_W and @BradN to see if they have any thoughts.

What's your watering regime like, and how many hours of sun does the plant get each day? Blueberries enjoy frequent waterings and well-draining soil. They also require at least six hours of sunlight each day.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Re: Blueberry Bush berries are all wrinkly

Hi MitchellMc,

Thank you for your reply, this bush is in full sun for most of the day, so it has at least 8hrs, probably more closer to 12 hrs. It gets regular watering.

Funny thing is I checked it yesterday and the berries have all plumped up again, and that is something I have never seen.

I have added photos.4 Days after wrinkles4 Days after wrinkles4 Days after wrinkles4 Days after wrinkles

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Re: Blueberry bush berries are all wrinkly

So the berries re-plumped/unwrinkled.. (rehydrated?)  This berry bush is crazy... but I have seriously only had about 4 or 5 edible ripe berries off this thing in the 5 years I've owned it. The berries inevitably go wrinkly and drop.. In that time I have never seen them plump up again. Im thinking this plant is haunted..

I did add the latest photos in my reply to MitchellMc.

If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

Hi @AngryBird . That certainly is a startling transformation! My best guess is that the berries shrivel up a bit when the soil is dry, either because the plant uses the water in the berries to keep itself going, or the water slowly escapes through the skin of the berries. When it rains or you water the plant it sucks up the water and plumps up the berries again.

It's easy to underestimate how much water has to go through a plant to produce fruit. There is a lot of water in a juicy blueberry or tomato or orange, but that's only a small fraction of the water that the plant needs to produce the fruit. Most of the water that a plant sucks up through its roots goes more or less straight out through the leaves in the process called transpiration.

Plants in pots have a hard time getting water because they can't develop their natural root system, and because the canopy of a bush often acts as an umbrella, diverting rainwater outside the pot.

How long has the plant been in that pot in the same mix? If it hasn't had fresh potting mix for years the mix might have become a bit hydrophobic and not be holding moisture well. You could try using a soil wetter to improve the water retention of the potting mix. I would also try watering it more often and make sure that I'm watering it deeply all around the pot so that water comes running out the hole in the bottom.

Does the pot drain OK? If the saucer is stopping it draining that could cause other problems.

Please keep us updated. I'd love to see what happens. 

Those are awesome thoughts and suggestions @GreenShoots

I'm sorry to read about your blueberries not feeling well @AngryBird, but I know the Workshop community will help make them better. Our resident Workshop guru @EricL will be on later this afternoon and will also have a look at your blueberry situation. I agree with GreenShoots to keep us updated. 

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AngryBird

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @GreenShoots. I agree with all their recommendations, especially with the deep watering and changing your watering schedule. My only suggestion is to add Seasol 2.4L Seaweed Health Tonic Concentrate to keep your plant revitalized.

When your soil mix has excellent drainage properties, it is necessary to water more often to keep the plant from dehydrating. Placing a saucer underneath the pot can be both good and bad depending on the health of the root system of the plant and if it is a heavy drinker. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing you get more fruits this season.

Eric

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

Yes Im thinking the same thing, and I did notice the berries looking much better the other day after a good watering.. I will give them a feed too. Usually I give them a does of slow release fertilizer once a year or if I repot them. I am thinking it might be a good idea to put it in a bigger pot with some fresh potting mix after this fruiting season is over. The berries are all going blue now but they have remained quite small, but I'll still get some this time round. Im not sure if Nellie Kellie is really suitable for the sydney climate, I had assumed it would be okay since I bought it from my local bunnings some years ago, but perhaps that is not the best way to choose plants.

Thank you for you advice.

Cheers

Hi Greenshoots,

Yes I think you are correct about the watering.. I have been watching the berries and they seem much better now that the plant has had a good drink.

I will repot this plant once I get all the fruit off it.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects