Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are these infected cabbage or eggplant leaves?

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Are these infected cabbage or eggplant leaves?

Hi Team,

We recently planted seeds for Cabbage and Eggplant. We could see some growth but they look like been infested.  We need to know 2 things. 

1. If they are really veggie growth leaves

2. If they are been infested by some pest, how do we control at this early stage? 

Sharing pictures as well  

Screenshot_20221205_100527_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_100623_WhatsApp.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are these infected cabbage or eggplant leaves?

Hello @Sajjad

Thank you for sharing your question about your eggplant and cabbage plant growth. The quick answer is yes, they are your seeds sprouting. At this point in time, I suggest not using any chemicals on them as their root systems are very young and could easily be burned by chemical exposure. I recommend using Saxon Small Dome Plant Protector.

I propose looking carefully at the plant and manually removing any pests that you see crawling on them. Carefully remove the mulch around the young plants and make sure that the area is flat before you place the plant protector. Please make sure that the air hole is open so that your plant can breathe properly. 

I suggest a daily visit to make sure that no insects have gotten trapped inside the dome. There will be some condensation on cool nights, make sure to keep the dome off when the weather is very hot. Once the plant has matured you can then use a vegetable-friendly insecticide. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Spot on, @EricL !  Protection and prevention is far better at this stage than chemical treatment.  The insects (possibly very small caterpillars?) may be hard to detect but careful inspection will find them - look on the undersides of the leaves, out of direct sun.

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Reallt appreciate your feedback. I have bought your recommended product and will follow your advise to maintain this. 

Thank you

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Thanks Noelle. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects