Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice wanted for front of house wall and steps

Kash86
Getting Established

Advice wanted for front of house wall and steps

Hi,

I had got some of the work done from a landscaper, but the work was not very good. So I am planning to do these things myself. Just looking for suggestions on products, tools and advise for DIY which doesn't need big machinery to be hired. Most of which can be done using manual/electric small tools and don't cost a fortune. My last landscaper just never came back.

I am looking to get done:

1) Floor on porch area at Front of house.

2) Steps in front of house leading to porch

3) Wall/Retaining walls for front of house.

4) Suggestions on if anyone has used a tool/software to get a sketch done to visualise it before doing it. Or else if you juat use a pen and draw.

4) Natural grass that can be laid on the garden in June. Thin grass, suited for area that gets sunlight and easy to maintain.

Please share your valuable input and suggestions. Photos uploaded of the house. I have tried getting costs from landscapers, bricklayers and concreters. The quotes were very high, so looking for DIY options.

Thank you

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7003.jpeg

IMG_7002.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Advice wanted for front of house wall and steps

Hi @Kash86,

I would recommend you start with this helpful guide by @Adam_W - How to plan a garden makeover. As you're planning a lot of work, it's important to break the project down into manageable tasks. Making a list of your goals for the project will also be helpful before you start designing. What are some of the things you don't like about your current front yard and what do you want to achieve and why? When it comes to creating your plan, there are suggestions in this article - What software do you use for drawing plans?

Looking forward to reading more about your plans and seeing suggestions from other community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kash86 

Looking at your list to do list, it's best to split these projects into individual activities so that you can concentrate on each one thoroughly. For example, you are looking for flooring for your porch area at the front of the house. Some of the questions that come to mind are, how big is the flooring area? Do you want to tile it or are you using pavers instead? 

Your overall project has many elements involved from steps to retaining walls. I suggest drawing it with pen and paper first to give you a rough idea of the type of steps you're after and how tall the retaining wall will be. It's also important that these elements complement each other so that they don't look out of place.

I personally use Sketchup to draw all my 3D renders, simply follow the tutorials at the start to give you an idea of how to use it. 

I also suggest having a look at these discussions:

I recommend thinking about which activity you would like to start with. Once you've decided which one to go with, we can then move forward, and our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information regarding your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Kash86
Getting Established

Thank you @Jason for your input. Yes, I will break it down to something manageable every weekend. We were thinking of getting rid of the box or otherwise using better materials for the exterior so it looks nice. I will look at the links you shared and return with any questions I have. Usually, I have questions regarding tools and products used in these projects shared by other members. Some do share links to products on the Bunnings website, but sometimes it is difficult to get the right products.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kash86 

Please let us know when you are ready to start your first project. We're here to help. 

Eric

Kash86
Getting Established

Yes sure. I am thinking for this weekend to start with the tiles on the porch area at front. So lookingat the list I willmention here what I need suggestions for:

Materials:

• Tiles, exterior grade with slip resistance rating of P3/R11 or higher (Need suggestions which can be chosen)

• Tile cement ( Need suggestions)

• Tile spacers (Confident to chose one)

• Grout (Link needed)

• Cleaning acid. (Link needed)

Tools: 

• Tape measure and marking pencil (Can get one?

• Short or torpedo level, long level or straight-edge (Have a level)

• Notched trowel ( Can chose one)

• Mixing bucket and mixing paddle fitted to suitable power drill. You can hire or buy "mixer" drills, or use a corded, variable-speed power drill of 800W or above or a larger battery drill with side handle fitted with a high-Ah battery pack.( I have Bosch drills,saw a Craftright on the website, but is a SDS, I have a SDS hammer drill too but want to know if there is a mixer attachment available for normal drill too.

• Tile cutter and/or angle grinder with a suitable tile-cutting blade ( This one is what I need most help with. As I will be just cutting only a few tiles, should I get a angle grinder, hire one from Bunnings or do Bunnings have tile cut service if it is only 5-6 tiles to cut.

• Tile-grout squeegee (link needed)

• Scrubbing brush and cleaning sponges (Can get one)

• PPE – Eye protection when cutting tiles and breathing protection if using angle grinder. Eye, hand and breathing protection when mixing and applying bedding cement and grout, and when acid cleaning. (Have some of these but can get if something needed)

I know the staff in store do help as well, but good to gather some information and check some videos before I start on it.

I can get some of these when I search online, but then there are lots of options which confuse and decide what to pick.

Thank you all again for all your input.

I will try and look and find but if you get the time to share I will really appreciate. Also uploading the dimensions of porch area. 

IMG_7008.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kash86 

Let me try and provide some guides for you.

• I suggest going to your local store and looking at the tiles available. Outdoor tiles will usually have a tag on the box indicating that they can be used outside. The box will also have a tag of the slip rating, it's best to have a look so that you can choose which colour you like.

• I suggest using Dunlop 20kg Trade Resaflex it has  a large amount of polymers that give the adhesive elasticity. This means that even if there is a slight movement in the base the tiles will stay on and not be affected by the movement.

• I recommend standard tile spacers such as the QEP 3mm Cross Type Spacers. You are free to choose larger ones but these are the most common spacers for tiles.

• I propose looking at the Dunlop 1.5kg Flexible Coloured Grout. This grout is rated for interior and exterior use, it's capable of covering an area of 8.2sqM2

• If the concrete on your porch is less than one year old, I suggest using detergent and a scrub brush to prepare the surface. 

In regards to the tools, I suggest going to the tool department and having a look at what's available. Buying tools is like an investment, premium tools will provide longer service versus cheap tools that break easily.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to tile an outdoor area by @Adam_W

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects