Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workbench or saw horses?

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Workbench or saw horses?

Hi

I am at level 0 with woodworking but wants to build some shelves in garage.

After watching some videos and reading some blogs about DIY and woodworking, I think I can safely use circular saw,  multitool and jigsaw.

Should I get workbench like https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-folding-bench-n-vice_p5860871  or saw horses https://www.bunnings.com.au/toughbuilt-2-piece-sawhorse-and-jobsite-table_p5820831 ?

Workbench seems good choice but need advice from experts.

What are some good workbenches or saw horses?

Thanks

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Re: Workbench or saw horses?

Thanks @Tyro 
I was thinking of getting one which could be attached to the tool but your idea is not bad while starting out.

I think I probably have one stored which never got used once we moved house and current house doesn't have leaves issue.

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL 
That is very useful list

If you do decide to go with a vacuum @legopoint, a wet & dry workshop vacuum would be the way to go. With adaptors, then can be connected to various tools and, due to the bucket design, hold far more waste and don't get clogged up like domestic vacuums.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KevinMall
Making a Splash

Hi there,

You will likely get differing view points on this question you have raised and both options certainly have merit.  I actually built my own saw horse from scrap timber i had left over from previous projects or from old disused timber pallets even (??). Its a bit rough looking but relatively easy to make and potentially a bit cheaper than buying one. 

1000003663.jpg

+1 for vice, wish I had one.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KevinMall 

Thank you for sharing your D.I.Y. sawhorse. I believe that it is always best to use the materials you have on hand rather than keeping on buying new timber which produces more off cuts and adding to the pile. In this manner, you maximize the use of all the timber in your work area. The best part of course is that it did not cost you anything to build it.

Regardless of how it looks, as long as it functions with the purpose it was intended for it is a good sawhorse.

Again, thank you for sharing a great project.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @KevinMall 

"wish I had one."

I don't know if Bunnings still market the 'Uni-Jaws', but I always thought it a clever concept and a very usual vice if workshop space is limited.

20230901_110555.jpg

Well said and thank you Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects