Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workbench or saw horses?

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Workbench or saw horses?

Hi

I am at level 0 with woodworking but wants to build some shelves in garage.

After watching some videos and reading some blogs about DIY and woodworking, I think I can safely use circular saw,  multitool and jigsaw.

Should I get workbench like https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-folding-bench-n-vice_p5860871  or saw horses https://www.bunnings.com.au/toughbuilt-2-piece-sawhorse-and-jobsite-table_p5820831 ?

Workbench seems good choice but need advice from experts.

What are some good workbenches or saw horses?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Workbench or saw horses?

Hello @Tyro 

Let me tag @Dave-1 to make sure he's aware of your question. When cutting timber panels and they are supported underneath with your sawhorse several things could happen as your blade cuts through the timber. If the cut piece is unsupported it acts like a timber vice and begins to pinch the blade of the circular saw. 

You'll start to get a strong burning smell from the timber when this sometimes happens. This is because the blade is rubbing against the cut timber at high-speed causing it to heat up. That's why you'll sometimes see burn marks on your cut timber.

If the cut piece is long and heavy, it will even sometimes stop the saw in mid cut, and you'll be wondering why it has stopped. The technique to avoid this phenomenon is to place another support on the cut piece. Another way to do it is to place a wedge at the start of your cut so that it forces the cut panels apart thereby removing any stress on the saw blade.

There are a few other methods, but the ones I've mentioned are the most common ones used. You'll be more aware of this situation when you begin using your circular saw.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @EricL 

I'm thinking I need more coffee as the mental image of this hasn't struck home ... I understand the vice-like behaviour of the timber on the saw blade.  So do you mean to offset that effect, something heavy needs to be put on top of the cut piece of timber to act as a sort of counter-weight?  

Cheers 🤗

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Tyro 

I will try and remember to take some meausurments this weekend. I might even make a table.... But shall see :smile:

01 18-08-2023.jpg

The boxes are the horses, The Pink is a piece of Timber. What I mean by cutting after the last horse is to have the timber cut after the last horse and not cut before. The weight of the saw will flex the timber and make for a rough cut or even jam. If there is a long offcut then the same applies have a horse support the length but cut near the previous horse so there is no flex in the timber. Too many times my brain goes "Its only one easy cut" only to end up with a mess or some sort of issue because I didnt take the time to reposition the horses. 

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Tyro 

I just saw @EricL @ response and yeah he describes it well.:smile: When starting out sometimes descriptions seem to make no sense. After you start using or even placing tools/build all of a suddern it goes "click" and you go  "Thats what it meant!" :smile: Canmt wait to hear your eureka moment! :smile:

Will see if I can set up my saws and take a couple of pics this weekend to show.

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi again @legopoint 

Something in your post has only just registered with my tired brain ... the need to get a vacuum cleaner for the dust etc.  Depending on the size of your work area you might find a leaf-blower does a better job of clearing up the saw dust.  Domestic vacuums have a tendency to clog up, especially if you use MDF as the dust particles are so very fine.  I got myself a blower/vac for a great price at Bunnings.  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2400w-corded-3-in-1-blower-vacuum-mulcher-blv-2401_p3380601

Cheers 🤗

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Dave-1 

I think I get it now ... but pics would be fantastic!  Thanks a million!  😁👏

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Brilliant @Dave-1 

A picture says a thousand words!  Now I definitely know what you mean 👏 

... and I feel like nominating you for an Archibald art prize for your drawing! 😂

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Tyro

hahahaha mmmmm a quick scribble on a post-it note and the horses arnt even the same size but was too lazy to redraw :smile:

Thanks tho :smile:

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Brilliant, just the same @Dave-1 

🤗😂

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Tyro 

I took some photos of the saw horses and also drew up the meausurements. Saw Horses (Ex Telstra industries) 

I forgot one meausurement lol I will take it when I get home.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects