Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why won't my Ozito battery charge?

Darcy9
Just Starting Out

Why won't my Ozito battery charge?

Put a18V FLAT Ozito battery on charger 2.25 hrs Now won’t work ?? Ideas? Please.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Battery charging question

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Darcy9. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about charging a battery.

It sounds like either the battery or charger has failed. If the products are under warranty, I'd recommend returning to the store of purchase and having them take a look at them. If the products are out of warranty and you could provide the model number, then I can check to see if replacement part are available.

I'm sorry, but if the battery simply won't charge, I am not aware of any special tricks that will resolve that issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. Hopefully battery is ok I’m concerned it may have overcharged (just over 1hr) hopefully not the 18 volt drill almost 12 months old. Prob no more than 15 hrs  use. Off to Bunnings tomorrow. 😬 Cheers Darcy

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Darcy9 

How did you get on back in February?

But I always thought Lithium doesn't deplete itself to death (from overuse)?

I thought that only happened with Nickel-cadmium?

And above, there is mention of overcharging Lithium batteries. I didn't think this possible, I thought they "trickled" at some point, when fully charged?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

It's best to remove the battery from the charger as soon as it has fully charged.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Good to know. I have only a few battery tools - but I religiously charge them regularly.

Cheers.

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Actually you can overcharge a Lithium battery, low tech (poor quality) chargers are the culprit usually feeding a higher voltage into the cells than manufacturers had intended, BMS (battery management systems) and Smart chargers minimise the risk significantly, the Ozito chargers fall into this category, I monitor battery use (with the inbuilt charge meter) and top up/charge the pack accordingly.

My charger is kept away from flammable materials and not left on charge beyond that normal cycle.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-18/e-scooter-lithium-battery-fire-risk-fears-/101863902

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYGnome,

I've edited my reply above as I was under the impression that most smart chargers cut the charge to the battery once they were fully charged, but that does not necessarily look to be the case across the board. Regardless, the manufacturers recommend the removal of batteries from the charger as soon as possible.

Do not over-charge batteries. Do not exceed the maximum charging times. These charging times only apply to
discharged batteries. Frequent insertion of a charged or partly charged battery pack will result in over-charging and
cell damage. Do not leave fully charged batteries in the charger. Overcharging batteries may result in a risk of fire.

Thanks for picking that up. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects