Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint for garage ceiling?

crmpicco
Just Starting Out

What paint for garage ceiling?

Hi,

I would like to know what paint to buy to paint my garage/carport ceiling? I’d like something reflective to make it as bright as possible at night when the light is on.

I don’t know what the ceiling is made of, but this is a photo of it.image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint for garage ceiling?

Hello @crmpicco 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting your ceiling.

Normally I would suggest sanding the surface of your ceiling before you paint. But asbestos ceilings are common in houses constructed between the 1950s and the 1980s. Asbestos ceilings were used because of their fireproofing and heat resistance properties. 

I therefore suggest not sanding it down but wiping the surface with Selleys 1L Wall Surface Cleaner Super Concentrate Sugar Soap. This will prepare the surface for priming without having to sand it. I recommend using Zinsser 3.78L Smart Prime Undercoat. It has excellent adhesion and stain blocking features.

For the topcoat, I propose using Dulux 4L Wash&Wear Gloss Vivid White Interior Paint. Since there will be no traffic or bumping into your ceiling this paint will work well on your ceiling. Please note that when painting your ceiling a gloss finish, imperfections on the surface uneven levels will be much more visible.

Since you are using a ladder, I suggest having a look at this guide: How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects