Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add wheels to Pinnacle garage bench?

newuser
Finding My Feet

How to add wheels to Pinnacle garage bench?

Hello Fellow DIY Enthusiasts,

I recently bought the Pinnacle 910 x 1500 x 540mm 2 Tier Heavy Duty Workbench and ever since I have been considering customizing the table by -

1. Adding Lockable Wheel: Adding Lockable wheels to this table will help me move it around my garage as required but I'm not sure if that would be a recommended approach and if yes, how should I go about it? 

2. Upgrading the Tabletop: A thicker, sturdier and wider tabletop would have been ideal but I'm also aware that might add weight to the workbench and I'm not sure the frame and legs can support the increased load. 

Kindly requesting your inputs on whether I should proceed with these changes and enlighten me of any potential pitfalls that I might encounter if I were to go ahead. Also, requesting your assistance and suggestions on how to proceed with making these changes.

Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add wheels to Pinnacle garage bench?

Hello @newuser 

Thanks for sharing your question about adding wheels to the Pinnacle garage bench. If you are placing heavy items on your work bench, I suggest building a timber frame under the table. This will prevent the legs from folding over or bending due to the shearing forces it will encounter when being pushed.

I also recommend attaching either an MDF or Plywood panel at the back to prevent the table from leaning and twisting when being moved. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of what the timber frame looks like.

Please note that this is just a basic idea and if you feel that it needs more support or reinforcement, please alter the design to your needs.

In regards to the benchtop, you have the option of having it inside the frame or outside the frame. If you do it outside the frame, you'll need to add timber guides at the bottom to prevent the benchtop from moving or sliding off.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @newuser 

Must say wheels on things make slife a LOT easier! Adding wheels to your workbench I think is doable.  Upgrading your tabletop could be done with extra bracing for sure. I built an outside bench on wheels that looks very similar to @EricL's drawings. Its solid as a rock. So I would keep that in mind depending on what your bench will be used as.

You could make a rectangular frame that sits just inside the legs of the bench you have, That way you could screw through the base of the legs into the timber rectangle. To add wheels to the bench I would follow the same way I did for my bench Outside timber lounge with wheels  so divide the total length by 5 ish and place the wheels 1/5th of the way in. Id suggest only 4 weels as it will help stop it piviting over uneven surfaces.

The rectangular frame can sit on two horizontal pieces like the lounge that way all the weight is downwards on the wheels. It will add 150-200mm to the height of your bench so keep it in mind (tho you can go for smaller wheels if you want less height)

Modding the bench would be a great way to start thinking of building a heavier worktable later :smile:

Dave

Oh and please take some pics of the process as you Mod it :smile: Would be pretty cool seeing it done.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @newuser , I am definitely with @EricL on the idea that you will need to add timber in order to be able to safely move this bench. The manufacturers recommendations are that it should be bolted to a wall. It's boltless construction method wouldn't lend itself to much sideways or up-down movements, but the timber frame would allow some movement.

Putting it on wheels could be convenient, but ...wheels only make contact with the floor in a very small area, so sideslip can occur and the load limit of the axle, limits the weight and ability absorb impact.

So it depends on what you intend to use it for.

(Personally I only ever add retractable wheels to my work benches so that they maintain their original strength and floor grip when in use.)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects