Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

T sash clamp idea

teach
Getting Established

T sash clamp idea

Clamping hardwood benchtop units for width over 1300mm and the T sash clamps too short...answer was to cut off the clamp terminal 'nipples' on two clamps..remove the iron end block off the bar...turn one bar and set beside the other..do this on the intended bench wood because you need to align just two sets of holes..good luck there!...fit two bolts thru aligned holes...don't tighten yet...cut two sections wood 25mm thick...fit into gap between clamps...now tighten the bolts...You should have one clamp now with the vice section at each end and just clear of the bench sides..use something to protect the edges..ditto the bench tops...Make as many of these doubnle clamps as you need...each takes two T sash clamps. It should be possible to get circa 2m of width !

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: T sash clamp idea.

Morning @teach 

"Clamping hardwood benchtop units"

Was this for joining the bench-top ends or something else? Ultimately what length of your sash-clamp idea was needed?

Cheers.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Would this idea have helped your situation?

Scan1426.jpg

(Readers Digest)

teach
Getting Established

I wanted to fix together two 600 wide solid wood bench top plates that already had a 140mm width extension 

applied. That I could do with the 1200 sash clamps...but not the 1340 total...The clamps were from different makers..and so the holes were not lining up but I fluked two holes...on six clamps (making 3 huge clamps)

and used 25mm wood inserts to enable the bolts to be worked tight. The result was excellent...The clamps can be put back as per normal. I could have drilled new holes to help the job. This means the two clamps can be set up to 2m apart...

ps I have just discovered a secret way to fit those nasty soft close runners and avoid the disasters waiting for all DIY effort cabinets and even with older units. 

teach
Getting Established

wedge the wood idea...yes I thort of it...and almost went that route....then the 2am brainwave hit me.

The steel clamps enable better control...and with the screw at both ends.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @teach. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your tips.

There's always more than one way to get a job done, and you've certainly been thinking outside the box. I find myself using similar methods with my projects as I don't always have what I need, or it might not exist. I needed a lathe the other week to make some fishing lures. I managed to make my own in a few hours, and it worked surprisingly well!

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please reach out any time you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Handy woodworking tips

You clearly have the clamping under control @teach  👍

"I have just discovered a secret way to fit those nasty soft close runners"

What is your secret - or will ya then have to kill me?

"I managed to make my own"

I for one would love to see a photo of your quickly made lathe @MitchellMc . 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects