Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for small shed foundation?

mikebarker
Having an Impact

Suggestions for small shed foundation?

Hello all! I am planning to build a small wooden storage shed as a project to gain some carpentry skills. It will be approx 3.5m wide x 2.5m long (Staying under the limits of permit requirements where I am in Victoria). I am on a sloping block and have had a small area cut into the slope, and one side built up to level it by an excavator (See attached images).

Essentially, the built-up side is quite soft so I don't think I should use the concrete foundation blocks that are often recommended.

I've been looking into multiple options, I was initially sold on a gravel pad (This article was very persuasive and helpful and this video too) but I'm now also exploring options for some footing, similar to what you would use for a deck but there are so many options I'd love the community to offer some ideas based on the area I have.

I was planning to dig some holes and use those cardboard footing tubes and pour concrete in and then use some kind of bracket to attach some lengths of 90x90 treated pine as the basis on which to build the shed floor joists.

I am open to pouring a concrete pad but I'm not a huge fan of the permanence of it (or the cost!) but I'm not against it if it's the best solution.

I also think I should retain the left side where it has been cut into. It's not very high approx 300mm, a single sleeper would probably do it. Suggestions on a simple approach to this would be welcomed. I expect if I go the gravel pad route then this would just be one of the sides of the container for the gravel.

So, to summarise:

1. Which solution would be favourable for this size, area and ground, factoring in cost/simplicity? Gravel pad, footings (and what kind) or a concrete pad?

2. What approach should I use to retain the side that has been cut into?

Thank you all so much!

Front view, area to be potentially retained on the leftFront view, area to be potentially retained on the left

Side viewSide view

Re: Suggestions for small shed foundation?

Awesome, thanks chaps!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects