Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Small front native garden advice

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Small front native garden advice

Hi all, 

I have a small 3m x 3.4m north-facing garden in Melbourne, and I am hoping to design, build and plant some native plants/grasses etc. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult, but I have zero idea how to execute it. 

In the photo below, I have photoshopped my two raised garden beds (1.2mx 1.2m onto the space, as I am looking to move them across to the left side of the garden.

• The soil is currently pretty firm clay, so I am wondering, what are my first steps here? Do i get to tool to loosen the soil first?
  • Do I loosen the soil, then lay a weed mat (i've heard mixed things about weed mats not letting through nutrients), and then dump soil on top of that? And then mulch? Do i need to level the soil? How do I make sure the ground doesn't get waterlogged when it rains?
  • If i want to build a little gravel pathway, do I do that after putting down the soil? Any recommendations on simple edging? I love the idea of having small tree trunks as edging but not sure where I'd source these. 

I have included a mocked-up design of what I am thinking. And I also have access to a tool library where i can borrow a range of gardening tools. This video was useful but I feel like there's details it left out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAK3XtBk9rc

As you can tell, I have zero idea, so if someone could assist or direct me to assistance that would be wonderful. 

Thanks so much

Dion

modal_image-3f4bda1c7c5df50210ff06e60537e75b.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

modal_image-92f453eae07a510a14636f5450c900c0.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Small front native garden advice

Hi @carpedion,

You'll need to loosen up the soil, and I'd suggest that if the ground is mainly clay ridden, you'd need to dig some holes and remove the current soil from them. You can then backfill the hole with Native Potting Mix and plant into that. Although natives will grow in clay-based soils, you certainly don't want to plant over a solid clay base as their roots will be constantly soggy. It would be best if you considered building up garden beds above the soil or planting in pots. I've created a rendering for you below to illustrate.

A post hole pincer will come in handy to dig into the soil. If you want to avoid digging holes, then building up on the soil would be the next option. Your method of loosening the soil, laying weedmat and then a suitable mix would work. The higher you build the mound, the better the drainage will be.

For your path, I'd suggest installing your edging first and then backfilling up to it with your mulch. You can then add your gravel to the pathway and stepping stones on top. If you can't get a hold of some small tree trunks for the edging, the next best option might be EzyEdge.

You might like to a read through this helpful guide on How to plan a native garden.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
carpedion
Cultivating a Following

This is so damn helpful, thanks so much! I'll get back to you if you have any questions. Out of interest, what software did you use to draw up that mockup? Is it Sketchup? It's amazing!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @carpedion

I'm glad you found @MitchellMc's recommendations helpful. He actually uses Tinkercad to do his 3D renders. Your proposed garden layout looks great. Have you considered putting a path behind the raised garden beds? This will give you easy access to the plants at the back in case you have to prune them. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Forgot to post photos of the finished product but here it is!

2. Front-Garden.jpg

Looks so good @carpedion. Well done.

Can you please tell us what plants you choose and what pavers you used so other community members who might be inspired by your creation can replicate your handiwork?

Thanks for sharing.

Jason

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Sorry no idea re the plants (as i just went to a nursery and had a guy talk me through options) - hopefully some green thumbs here will be able to easily identify them. FYI it's a north-facing garden with clay-ish soil so the plants needed to be relatively hardy. Pavers were bought from Bunnings and the tree trunk was sourced from an arborist on Marketplace. Hope that's a tiny bit helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects