Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ryobi Tools - Yes or No

Jeffersm963
Getting Established

Ryobi Tools - Yes or No

Hi,

I am a very competent DIYer and am going to be doing a carport conversion, framing walls and completely enclosing the carport which currently has a few open sides. I will also be creating rough openings for professionals to install doors.

I have been preparing and in doing so, have been watching many, many videos on the best way to do this.

In this research I have come across many videos of professionals saying not to use Ryobi tools as they are not accurate and not durable and various other reasons. These professionals are not sponsored by other tool companies.

I am just looking for input and will not take any pro or con thoughts as promoting Ryobi or vice-versa.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Ryobi Tools - Yes or No

Love the analogy 😂 Many thanks for your reply.

Hey Dave,

Many thanks for your response.

Great to hear that you have used the tools I am proposing to use in similar situations.

I will definitely be checking out your videos.

Jeff

Hey Jacob,

For any new Ryobi purchase I’ll definitely be looking at the brushless option.

Thanks

Jeff

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeffersm963,

Sorry, I should've clarified before posting. 

The One+ HP range has both 18v and 36v tools. The existing batteries of the corresponding voltage can be used with their compatible One+ HP tools.

Let me know if you'd like further clarification.

Jacob

So the non-Brushless versions cannot take 36v?

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Jeffersm963 I'm ex 30yrs in the powertool industry across many brands from sales, product development but mainly product training both locally and OS. The gap in recent years between the brands has closed considerably. In the early days it was all ball-bearings. These days it's technology with electronically controlled and managed lithium batteries and brushless motors. One of the main considerations is how often you intend to use the tool. If it's your all day-everyday tool, then go for a trade brand because the components are built for that purpose. If its occasional use tool then you can afford to go with one of the DIY brands providing your ok with two battery platforms. Personally I think thats the way to go. The other consideration is environment. If your say a landscaper and your tools are going to be working in dirt, mud and weather, then a trade tool can last just as long as a cheap DIY. 

Regardless of trade or DIY, I always recommend "Brushless" motor tools where available. They are more reliable, battery efficient and powerful of standard motors and well worth the little extra investment.

As far as Ryobi tools go, they have very highly advanced electronics in both batteries and BL motors. They actually had this tech before a few top trade brands. Ozito now have this Tech in their tools for the past couple of years.

Regarding your last comment can ONE+ batteries work in 36V tools, no they can't. Completely different batteries and platform. Sometimes this can be confusing across all brands mainly when it comes to power garden tools as 36V using 18V batteries means the tool actually needs 2 x 18V batteries (36v) to run. In this case use the most powerful (highest Ah rated) you have. The higher the rating the bigger the fuel tank with more energy. 5Ahr Battery vs 9Ahr would be like 5ltr fuel tank with 91 octane fuel vs 90Ltr fuel tank with 95 Octane fuel.

Hope that helps and makes some sense.

Nailbag.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeffersm963,

There are both 36v and 18v tools in the HP range that I linked to earlier in the discussion. There are also both 36v and 18v tools outside of the HP range. The HP range are their top-of-the-line brushless tools, but not the only brushless tools they have. 

Basically, if you see 36v in the product's name, it requires a 36v battery, if you see 18v in the product's name, it requires an 18v battery.

Because their range is so vast, there really is an option for almost everything.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jeffersm963,

Great to see you receive plenty of helpful advice on this topic.

You might be also interested in the opinions of Bunnings Workshop community members shared on this popular previous discussion: The great power tools debate - What is the best brand?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Brushless refers to the motor type and is available in any battery voltage just not always available in every tool with a voltage system. eg: Brand X may not have an 18v brushless hedge trimmer but brand Y does. 

18v systems are available in all brands. Currently the only single battery 36v system is available in Ryobi. All other brands require 2 batteries for a 36v tool. 

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A long-awaited welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community to you, @Noin. It's fantastic to see you posting after being a member for a considerable amount of time.

We look forward to you sharing your knowledge with the community and hearing about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need a hand or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects