Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted garage floor

Jimi
Making a Splash

Painted garage floor

A friend of mine has a single garage that was simply a dumping ground. He asked for some help to clean it up so i suggested starting with a nice clean and shiny painted floor.

Materials

Garage floor paint - spoke with paint counter team member to get the correct paint.

Tools

• Hose
  • Blower Vac
  • Cleaning tools such as dust pan, broom, scraper
  • Paint roller
  • paint tray
  • paint brush
  • degreaser

Steps

Step 1

IMG_20230319_115146.jpg

Cleaned out the garage, i don't have a photo of this but you couldn't walk in as there was that much clutter.

Threw out unnecessary clutter, put items up on ebay.

Swept floor and walls, removed mess.

Step 2

Used garden blower to get out as much dust as possible

Degreaser on some oil patches

Washed floor with soap and water and hosed out

Step 3

Once dried completely, painted edges with paint brush

Step 4

applied one coat with roller to finish.

Left for 7 days to dry and cure

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painted garage floor

Hi @Jimi 

Thanks for sharing you and your friends painted garage floor project. It looks fabulous and you've done an excellent job of the clean-up. Has your friend decided what it will be used for now that it's clean and tidy? 

Should it be necessary to store items in the garage again, I suggest having a look at this discussion - Heavy duty garage shelving by @jthurley. I've made a suggestion on how to build timber shelves that you can custom make and mount on a brick wall.

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks great @Jimi  I want to paint our shed floor, need to finish inside first. Can I ask please, did you add anything to the paint process to make the floor non slippery if that makes sense ? 😊

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Jimi 

It does look a lot nicer :smile: Now the thing is will it be used for garage stuff or will everything else be attracted to it? BTW I never use a garage for a car :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects