Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is vinyl flooring sheet suitable for a garage?

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Is vinyl flooring sheet suitable for a garage?

Hi Team,

Just wanted to get advise if Vinyl Flooring Sheets such as below from Bunnings is suitable for Garage concrete floor. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/senso-2m-beige-wood-practica-vinyl-sheet_p0333143

I am looking at affordable and easy DIY project. I have looked at Epoxy Kits but there is a quite a bit of preparation for it and it is time consuming and it is expensive to get it done professionally. 

About my garage, there will be one car parked in garage and some regular foot traffic with fridge and other stuff in it. Nothing heavy equipment or heavy work in the garage. 

Any advise or experience sharing will be appreciated. 

Thank you

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is vinyl flooring sheet suitable for a garage?

Hi @Sajjad,

Apologies for the slow reply. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will get back to you as soon as possible. 

You might like to share a photo or two of your garage floor so we can see what state the surface is in. 

And if you haven't already seen it, check out the guide How to apply epoxy to a garage floor by community member Jess (@prettyliving). You might be surprised how easy it is to dramatically transform your floor. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sajjad 

Thanks for sharing your question about using vinyl in your garage. I'm sorry but vinyl sheeting is not strong enough to handle the weight of the car and the heat generated by the tires. However, if you were to leave the car outside and turning your garage into a full fledge workshop then using the vinyl would be ideal.

In regards to the use of epoxy kits, think of it in this way. Just like when you are painting furniture or a wall it must be prepared by sanding and cleaning. You can then prime the surface and use a topcoat when the primer is dry.

The act of preparation only happens once, there is no need to repeat it and it is not that difficult to accomplish. If you are worried that it might take a few days, I suggest scheduling it over a long weekend or take a few days off so that you can concentrate on the project.

In fact, the more time you spend preparing the surface the better the results will be. The actual painting process does not take that long. I also suggest having a look at these discussion - Epoxy garage floor transformation by @maknilsin and Epoxy concrete floor for large shed by @CSParnell.

Let me call on our experienced member @CSParnell for his opinion on painting a garage floor.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

Thanks for your detailed response and motivation to look at Epoxy option. 

Just a quick question on Dy Mark Epoxy kits, one of my friend happen to have one sitting with him for long. The pack is unopened and date of manufacture is 2020. Do they have long shelf life or that kit is not good at all? 

I will definitely review that post for Epoxy Floor. 

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sajjad 

I'll have to double check with Dy mark regarding the paints shelf life. Three years is a long time sitting on a shelf, I recommend using a product that has not been sitting on the shelf too long. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sajjad 

Thank you for your patience. The standard shelf life of the Dy Mark Epoxy kit is 12 months. If exposed to fluctuating temperatures of hot and cold it would make the shelf life even shorter. I don't recommend using the old Epoxy kit that you have as it has already expired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

Thanks for your response and motivation. I have decided to take up this DiY PROJECT. I did ask few things back in last year but just want to ask again. I got some small crack, rough concrete because of hot tires,

1000062075.jpg

1000062074.jpg

1000062073.jpg

   

and dents in my garage concrete, pictures attached. I have seen a video guide from Dy Mark where they are patching cracks after cleaning with etching agent. Should I do the same or do the patching first and let it dry and then clean with etching agent? 

Also guide if below line cracks need filling and which product to use.

Thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sajjad 

It's best to follow the video instructions and if they etched the floor first before patching then that is what you should do. My suggestion is to use Rust-Oleum Concrete And Garage Fast Patch Kit. If it just a hairline crack, it's not necessary to put too much on. 

Once the filler cures, I suggest sanding the surface of the filler to make sure that it provides a good spot for the epoxy to anchor onto.

Here is a link to the Dy-Mark installation brochure: Dy-Mark Instruction Manual

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL 

Following your advise, I completed my Garage Floor Epoxy project. I used Dy Mark Epoxy Kit, and Rustoleum Patch and Repair to fill in cracks. The result is astounding. Here are before and after pictures. 

Just a question, it says to wait for 10 days before driving car into garage. Should I keep it little longer considering wet weather condition and lower temperature? 

1000064435.jpg

1000064593.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks mint @Sajjad! What an awesome result; you must be so pleased with that.

Smart thinking. To be on the safe side, I'd wait longer, maybe another five days. There will always be a longer curing time in high humidity and cooler conditions.

Well done!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects