Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for garage ceiling storage?

stewiesnr
Having an Impact

Ideas for garage ceiling storage?

does anyone have ideas for simple storage

I have a ceiling in my garage and i was after some ideas for some type of storage hanging from the roof beams for light  but bulky items like christmas tree and decorations.

Appreciate any ideas

Steve

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ceiling storage

Hi @stewiesnr,

I saw a pretty impressive idea for hanging clear storage containers from the ceiling. It involved attaching 90 x 35mm Pine to the beams and adding a 89 x 19mm Pine timber to the base. It basically forms T-shaped runners for the storage containers to slide into. The lip of the container and lid are retained in the runner. The amount of overhead storage you could fit above a car in a garage is amazing. I've created the below renderings to illustrate. Do you think you could make something like this work?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks for your reply Mitchell

I have seen this previously, its a great idea but i have a particular storage issue in mind.

My Christmas Tree and decorations are in special bags I originally  obtained through Bunnings years ago, These are ideal for storing the tree and decorations but are bulky and soft, I was thinking of a hanging frame with a shelf to put the bags onto and was hoping for ideas on what options I could use..

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @stewiesnr 

In order for us to give you more suggestions, can you please tell us approximately how big the tree bag is? Can you also please measure the size of the decoration bags? Once we have more information, we'll be able to recommend storage systems for your Christmas items.

Eric

hi Eric

the bag is approximately 165 x 38 x 76cm ((measurement from a similar bag) and I have two i need to store, the second one has the decorations.

I was thinking of something made from handy angle shelving uprights bolted together, but I don't think Bunnings carry it anymore

Steve

Hi @stewiesnr,

We have the Metal Mate slotted angle, which you could use. That would make it fairly easy to construct your hanging storage. Alternatively, you could construct the unit from timber, but that would likely take a bit more time.

Mitchell

ta Mitchell

thats what I had in mind and it would be perfect.

I couldn't find it online previously but have located due to your description and will go forward working out measurements.

thanks to all for the help

Steve

How are they all connected together?  and how it is secured to the ceiling.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @darsh05 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to attach the ceiling metal storage.

The Metal Mate slotted angle can be joined together with Pinnacle M6 x 10mm Zinc Plated Round Head Bolts And Nuts. But if you find that the size is too small you can go to the next larger size. To attach the assembly to the ceiling frame, I suggest using Zenith 8G x 30mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws in combination with Zenith M10 Hot Dipped Galvanised Washer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

What about suggestions for securing to concrete slab ceiling? We live in an apartment block with high ceilings in the garage. I’m looking to maximise the space I have in there.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects