Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof shed?

praba
Finding My Feet

How to waterproof shed?

Hi Team,

Recently I moved to a property and am having a shed which has rusted outside and causing water to seep in during rains. I was thinking to add concrete  trench until I came up a few pipes running closer to the shed (photo). Wondering how can I waterproof the shed. 
photo 1 - outside shed 

photo 2 - pipes closer to shed wall

photo 3 - inside shed 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to waterproof shed?

Hi @praba 

A  inexpensive way is to line the shed wall base with plastic and have it push past the cement slab. So any water through the holes diverted out past the slab.

Plan B For long term repairs replace the sheeting is the only  way.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @praba. We're pleased to have you join us.

We actually had a very similar question to this earlier in the week: How to fix shed which is rusting?

Have a look at that discussion as well as @Jewelleryrescue's prompt reply and let us know if you have some follow-up questions.  

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @praba 

I think your first order of business is to find out where the soil is touching the walls of your shed. This constant contact with damp soil has accelerated the deterioration of your shed panels. Using a garden trowel, I propose digging away any soil that is in contact with your shed wall.

I then suggest having a look at this discussion - How to fix shed which is rusting? by @approachmhn. In this discussion you'll find some good suggestions on how to treat your rusty panels. To patch rusty spots, I recommend using Consolidated Alloys 75mm x 3m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape.

In regards to waterproofing inside the shed, I suggest looking at this guide - How to waterproof a shed floor by @MitchellMc. Your idea of adding a concrete trench around the shed is a good idea, my only suggestion is to curve around the pipes so that it does not interfere with the flow of your trench.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, this was quite helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects