Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water seeping into shed which was built on concrete base?

crystally
Just Starting Out

How to stop water seeping into shed which was built on concrete base?

Screenshot_20231023-112134~2.png

How do i stop water from coming into the wooden shed which is built in a concrete base? please help. I was thinking of adding an awning to redirect the rain water and add sealant to the shed base. Would this work? 

IMG-20231022-WA0008.jpg

16980164924587705046538902482563.jpg

16980166068561452560376710138555.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water seeping into shed which was built on concrete base?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @crystally. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a shed.

That's a very common issue with sheds installed onto oversized slabs. The water pools on the exposed slab and travels under the shed walls. An option would be to follow this step-by-step guide: How to waterproof a shed floor. Installing an aluminium angle around the perimeter should help prevent water ingress under the walls. You might also like to consider installing a raised floor: How to install a shed floor. However, it's important to first prevent water from entering under the walls as it could cause the early onset of timber decay.

Adding an awning around your shed could effectively prevent water from reaching the slab, though it would likely only provide minimal protection in heavy and driving rains. I'd imagine this would work to a certain extent, and sealing under the walls would provide a secondary barrier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alx
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

As you mentioned a good sealant on both sides of the shed wall, inside and out should help.

kind regards

Alex

Hi @crystally Your slab is poured and sealing is the best action  now as  @MitchellMc  describes

Any one pouring a slab should make sure the slab is raised ever so slightly in the middle so any spillage in the shed flows out and the rain will never flow in. Same for concrete slabs around a house do  put in a 1:20 fall away from where you dont want water pooling. 

Water  pooling around  houses can  further provide termites soft terraine to start building nests at a remote chance but it happens.

Dont rely on concreters  automatically doing this for you as some just dont   care enough.  put a straight timber length on to of the form work and check its level before pouring cement.

Typical example  is 95% bathrooms have sloped floors for water flow to a floor waste outdoors can use same  logic.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects