Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gaps to reduce dust and debris into carport?

jgsh
Getting Established

How to seal gaps to reduce dust and debris into carport?

Front Facade 01.jpg

Small DIY project: Looking for a clear/transparent plastic/polycarbonate sheet to seal my front façade to reduce dusts from coming into the carport.

Found this product (https://www.bunnings.com.au/sunlite-8-1-2-x-0-61m-clear-twinwall-polycarbonate-sheet_p1010852) but it doesn't have the right width.

Any thoughts?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to seal gaps to reduce dust and debris into carport?

Good Afterrnoon @jgsh 

I have the same type of spacing on a privacy screen and when I was building it I was also thinking along the lines of how to cover up the gaps for true privacy or stop people looking in. 
When you say not the right width I am not sure what you mean as you could cut to size to install behind the slats?

Ive considerd shade cloth as well to stop wind and give more privacy but after some rain I realised the reason why the recomendation of the slats distance to one another was to allow air flow so things dont get stagnant. 

I like the sunlite product you asked about as that would work well.

Dave

jgsh
Getting Established

Thanks Dave.

I have the width measurements attached in the pic for the 5 sections I wish to cover.

The product I attached comes with 610mm width, which is smaller that the area I wish to cover (Left 1, Left 2 & Right 2 are all >720mm wide) . Didn't think it'll look nice having to join the small section (i. 610mm + small cut-out to fit the sections). Does that make sense?

Oh, I thought about using a cloth too but wish keep the light coming through. Perhaps I am asking too much :).

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jgsh 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about sealing the gaps on your privacy screen.

I propose having a look at the Suntuf 5 x 1m x 0.8mm Clear UV2 Polycarbonate Sheet Handi-Roll. It will cost a bit more, but it will cover almost over half of your privacy screen. It will be necessary to purchase an extra roll to finish off the project. The advantages to using the polycarbonate sheet is that it is UV safe and is transparent which will allow the light to pass through unhindered.

Another product is the 3mm Corflute White 1200 x 900mm. It's easy to cut and install and although it will reduce the amount of light passing through, its thin construction will not totally block out the sunlight. This material is often used on real estate signs and light construction cover. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the materials I've suggested before you make your decision.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jgsh
Getting Established

Thank you so much Eric! I'll check out the products but I think I just found what I needed.

Also, thanks again Dave for taking the time to respond.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jgsh 

That's good news, please remember to post an update once you've completed your project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what it looks like once you've covered it up.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects