Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint my carport floor?

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

How to repaint my carport floor?

I need a coating for my carport floor. It has previously been painted but the paint has lifted when hot tyres came to rest. Some of the paint is currently flaking. The carport is partly affected by sun and will also get rain occasionally. I have noticed a few products but with mixed reviews. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

Re: How to repaint my carport floor?

Mitchell

Thank you and will do that. Can I add the decorative chips on the final product?

regards

Graham

You can add decorative chips, Graham (@Margolin22).

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell,

Thank for your ongoing help with my carport floor project

I had intended to prepare the floor by treating the existing paint, some of which was lifting and flaking. You advised to clean those areas and feather the edges. I started this but decided to strip the whole floor which I have now completed after a combination of pressure washing, hot gun, paint stripper and swearing!

It is now back to bare concrete. I have to fill in a few cracks and holes where the aggregate has been exposed. Do you have suggestions for cleaning and will I need to etch before the Primer and then Paint?

Regards

Graham

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Margolin22 (Graham)

It's always a good idea to etch the concrete to provide a prepared surface for the paint. However, I recommend using the etcher that is the same brand as the paint you'll be using on your garage floor. There are some etchers with a cleaning component in them, but if you happen to choose one that does not have one. I suggest washing it first with regular water and detergent. Make sure to wash off all the detergent before using the etcher.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

Repainting garage floor

Mitchell

a few weeks back you helped me get started on my garage floor project. I explained that existing paint was flaking off and you advised how to deal with that and you recommended two Rustoleum products 

-  concrete and garage  recoat primer and

-  concrete and  garage floor paint

After trying to deal with the flaking paint I decided to take it all off. That is completed and I have cleaned it and used Rustoleum Etch solution. It is now drying for 24 hours.

Can I assume that I can still use the above products in sequence?

cheers Graham 

graham

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repainting garage floor

Hello @Margolin22 

My apologies for the late reply. Having had a quick read of the recommendations made, the products that @MitchellMc recommended should work effectively.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when you begin coating your garage. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the can.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

Repainting Garage Floor

I had some great advice from you re painting my garage floor and purchased Rustoleum Concrete and Garage Floor  Recoat Primer and Concrete and Garage floor Paint and Primer.  I didn't start the project due to the very hot weather here and planned to wait until March. I am having second thoughts and wondering if I should have purchased the Rustoleum Epoxy option.
What do you think?
Regards
Graham

Re: Repainting Garage Floor

Hi Graham (@Margolin22),

The original products I recommended were only done so as they were needed for your compromised surface. Now that you've removed the existing paint, that opens up the option of using the Epoxy range. If you wanted different colours or a slightly stronger coating, I'd recommend returning the other unused products and swapping them out for an epoxy coating.

Mitchell

Re: Repainting Garage Floor

Mitchell,

I took you advice and purchased the Rustoleum Epoxy for the 2.5 cars garage and have applied it today with the chips. The pack that I bought had two pouches and I have only used one. Could I use the second one over the top of the first.

cheers

Graham

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects