Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove depth stop from drill press?

AnitaP
Having an Impact

How to remove depth stop from drill press?

I bought a mortising kit for my drill press so I can use square drill bits. 

20230313_100817.jpg

This needs to go onto the quill of the drill press but I can seem to take this plastic part off that the depth stop is attached to. 

IMG_20230313_100120_01.jpg

  

I've taken the screw out of it but it doesn't seem to want to open up over the chuck.

Any ideas how to remove it? Do I have to remove the quill from the machine?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove depth stop

Hello @AnitaP 

It's wonderful to hear you got yourself some new square drill bits, and thanks for sharing your question about removing the depth stop on your drill press. I suggest spraying the depth stop with WD40 and tapping it with a Trojan 8oz 225g Fibreglass Soft Face Hammer. It looks like milled aluminium and could be the reason it has such a very tight tolerance. 

Please make sure to tap all around the stop so that it comes out in a straight and level manner. Don't concentrate in one only spot as this could damage the stop and your drill press.

Please take all necessary safety measures by wearing gloves and safety goggles while working on your drill press.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further asssitance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Remove depth stop

Hi @AnitaP, in addition to EricL's wise advice;

You'll notice that the slot where the tightening screw is has a slightly curved opening...

I suggest that you use a wide blade screwdriver and insert it gently into the gap from the side.

Then tap it lightly into the gap to open it a little briefly. This should release it from the shaft and allow it slide down. Go gently, it's just a case of breaking the adhesion from the two surfaces being in tight contact for so long. The aim is not to force the slot to open up any noticeable width, which could cause damage.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove depth stop from drill press?

Hi again @AnitaP 

Having just re-read your query...  it sounds like it is the extra diameter of the chuck that is preventing you from removing depth gauge mechanism ..??

If so, you will have to remove the chuck itself.

That is a fairly fiddly task....  but if you need to do it, here is a set of instructions with pictures:-

https://www.instructables.com/Drill-Press-Chuck-Replacement/

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove depth stop from drill press?

Hello @AnitaP  just to add to @TedBear and @EricL , check if your drill press has a slot on the main shaft, if so, all you need is a tapered piece of metal as shown, (called a tapered drill drift) then tap it with a hammer, this will remove the drill chuck, the chuck will have a taper ( called a Morse taper) on the end that locates into the main shaft, make sure you place a piece of flat timber under the chuck so it doesn't get damaged when it comes out, then you should be able to remove the depth stop and reinstall the chuck into the tapered hole of the main shaft. if there is no slot on the main shaft.you will have to follow @TedBear suggestion.

JoeAzza_0-1679041668946.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects