Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate tin roof in the sunroom?

ironchieftain
Just Starting Out

How to insulate tin roof in the sunroom?

Hi all, we purchased a house with the sunroom. The room is quite a poor quality, but suits our needs, as my wife using it as jewellery workshop. However the roof is a naked tin and it gets very hot. I was thinking to install something like ceilink by Versiclad but it’s a bit costly. I’m considering gyprock with insulation batts. Weight shouldn’t be an issue as I walked on it many times and it holds the weight. However, I’m not sure how to attach it. Was thinking angle brackets on each side. Please, assist.

Kind regards,

Nick

IMG_2119.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to insulate tin roof in the sunroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ironchieftain. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a sunroom.

Have you considered Foilboard insulation? It's lightweight, easily cut to size, and you can glue it to the underside of the roof with silicone. You could certainly attempt to do studs, insulation and Gyrock, which would likely give you a higher insulation value. However, you'll be able to mount the studs at the ends, but across the roof span would be an issue. It doesn't look like a huge span, but you'd probably need at least one fixing in the middle, which would require penetrating the roof structure.

On a side note, you should consider tinting the windows as a substantial amount of heat will be coming through those. There are plenty of great options these days that block light but still allow you to enjoy the vista. There are even products like the Pillar 1.52 x 1.2m Transitional Self-Tinting Adhesive Window Film that darkens when exposed to harsh light and transitions back to clear in the absence of sunlight.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

A note to our New Zealand members: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects