Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install structaflor yellow tongue floor in garden shed?

ralphy
Getting Established

How to install structaflor yellow tongue floor in garden shed?

Hi All,

I plan to use structaflor on my 2.1m x 2.8m garden shed. My garden shed will have a steel floor frame then I plan to put the structaflor on top of the frame then bolt down the shed on the structaflor.

I would like to ask if the edges of the structaflor which will slightly be exposed to the outside needs further treatment? If so, what treatment do i put on so that it will be weatherproof? Or, is there a yellow tongue with wax and does not need any further treatment when endge is exposed?

IMG_6484.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install structaflor yellow tongue floor in garden shed?

Hello @ralphy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about using yellow tongue for your garden shed. 

I've just spoken to our supplier regarding using yellow tongue outdoors. They suggest using flashing on the edge to prevent moisture from entering the material. They emphasized that the material is water resistant not waterproof. Prolonged exposure to sun and rain will deteriorate the edge of the flooring which will lead to the whole floor failing.

Depending on how much area you need to cover, I propose having a look at the Byute Flash as a possible cover for the yellow tongues edge.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @ralphy 

Although it would be considerably more expensive, it might be worth considering using a fibre cement product such as James Hardie 2700 x 600 x 19mm Secura Exterior Flooring as it is designed for external use and exposure to weathering.

Yellowtongue, being a timber product is heavily reliant on whatever you add as a waterproofing measure. Water, being the troublesome customer it is, will find a way in eventually and when it does the Yellowtongue will not hold up.

I think it all comes down to how long you want it to last.

Just a thought,

Jacob 

ralphy
Getting Established

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it will become too expensive because of the size of the fibro board which is not enough to cover the full length of 2.8m span which then willl require me to get more. Will investigate using the byute flash as suggested by EricL

ralphy
Getting Established

Hi EriclL, thanks for the suggestion and I think I will opt for this because it seems the easiest to do plus nice to hear it was suggested by the supplier of structaflor.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ralphy 

Please remember to post a photo update of your project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what the flooring and shed looks like once complete.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

ralphy
Getting Established

Some say that bunnings do cuts for boards BUT unclear if its to size enough to transport only or can be precision cut. I was hoping to have the yellow tongue to size specifically 3 board cut to 2810mm long. And one of the these boards width cut to 515mm. This will then give me an overalll dimension of 2810mm long x 2115 when connected. 

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @ralphy,

The panel saws are accurate to a tolerance of about 3-5mm.

If you’re looking for perfection I’d get them to cut it for transport  and measure and cut on site. 

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ralphy,

Great to see you receive a prompt and helpful reply from Jacob.

You can find more information on the Bunnings cutting service here - Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Please let us know if you need anything further.

Jason

ralphy
Getting Established

Took a long time to select the floor cover (2 sets PB floor beige tongue 3.6m x 1.2m x 22mm thk) material and the right size . Also note that generally all the bunnings in perth either have their cutting machine broken or they dont cut this particle board with thickness. I levelled my steel frame first with a combination wedges, plastic adjustable supports for the high side on brick pavers, and a piece of jarrah at the front where it sits on my existing decking.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects