Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Ametalin liner?

bluesue
Growing in Experience

How to install Ametalin liner?

Help needed, how do I attach the Ametalin 1350mm x 6.67m Thermal Liner to my tin roof or back or garage roller door? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bluesue. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Ametalin thermal liner.

Typically, this product is installed onto timberwork with Ametalin 25mm x 22mm Cap Nails. Attaching it to the roof of a shed or roller door would prove difficult. Perhaps for the shed roof, you might consider a sheeted product similar to Foilboard that can be adhered to the roof with silicone. For the roller door, a specifically designed product, like GI Building Sciences 10mm 0.5 x 24m 12m² Reflecta Garage Door Insulation,⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ would be the most appropriate option. Both of these products would not only be easier to install but also provide a far greater insulating value.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

A note for our New Zealand members: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bluesue
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell I will check out those products in Bunnings tomorrow 😊

bluesue
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell I have been reading the reviews on the product the GI building sciences product and they are talking about using on a panel door would this still be easily attached to a colour bond roller door? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm so sorry @bluesue. I missed the fact that it was a roller, not a panel door. Their Garage door insulation is 10mm thick, and they have concerns that it could get damaged with a roller door, so I am unaware of any insulation designed for roller doors. There is a chance that you could use GI Building Sciences 10mm 1.5 x 20m 30m² Reflecta Guard Plus as that is a thinner product. You'd still need to check the space between the rolled layers to ensure any product within them doesn't get damaged.

Mitchell

bluesue
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc  that is totally ok and I’ve omitted the fact that the roller door will not be in use as it’s being used as an extra room in the house. So anything that can be adhered to the roller door would be fine 😊 and how would I attach it? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @bluesue. In that case, I'd recommend going with the thicker and better-insulated option of the GI Building Sciences 10mm 0.5 x 24m 12m² Reflecta Garage Door Insulation. I'll point out that the kit is 12m2, so you'd likely need two kits for a double-width roller door. 

Here's the installation guide. The product is attached with silicone caulking.

Mitchell

bluesue
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc  for the fast reply. I will definitely try this product out and let you know how I go with it. Thanks again 

mikepilling2
Growing in Experience

Re: How to install Ametalin liner?

If it is any help, I used the Ametalin tape to attach and joint their MD silver wrap to steel shed structural members. The adhesive has held for over a year and through this recent heatwave as well. 

Re: How to install Ametalin liner?

Great feedback, @mikepilling2!  I trust @bluesue appreciates it.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects