Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a Stilla shed to a concrete slab?

DI-WHY
Finding My Feet

How to fix a Stilla shed to a concrete slab?

hi everyone.  I recently finished putting up a stilla cedar shed on a concrete slab.  I need to now secure it to the slab, but stilla doesn’t provide instructions apart from where to secure it.  I’m trying to figure out the how.

I’m thinking 10x100mm dynabolts however the frame is approximately 30mm so that would leave <70mm in the concrete.  Would that suffice?

I don’t have a hammer drill so I’ll be doing this with a regular drill and masonry drill bit, it’s going to be hard work (10 holes) so I don’t want to have to drill further than I have to?  If I went for a shorter dynabolt, would it make much difference?

The shed isn’t in a highly exposed area, I’m not concerned about it flying away, but at the same time I don’t want it moving every time I bump into a wall.

Am I mad attempting to drill into concrete with a regular drill?  I saw that there were some cheap ozito hammer drills, but I’d rather not spend money on something I’d never use again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Securing a shed to a slab

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DI-WHY. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a Stilla shed to a concrete slab.

In Stilla's FAQ, they suggest, "Use 1 concrete anchor per panel join, fix through the base plate into the slab.". Your 30mm thickness of the frame is within the guidelines for a 100mm Dynabolt. 70mm will suffice for your purposes. For that Dynabolt, you require a 10mm masonry bit. Since your drill does not have a hammer function, you need to use a Kango 10 x 120mm Multi-Max Multi Material Drill Bit. This bit will drill through your timber and is designed to drill concrete in non-hammer mode. They can take a little longer than a standard masonry bit, but they are quite proficient. I've used them many times before when drilling into concrete slabs that have reo bar in them, as a standard bit will just stop when it hits the metal. You won't have much luck drilling into the concrete with a standard masonry bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Securing a shed to a slab

That’s so much @MitchellMc really appreciate the advice.  

It’s interesting how you say that they have that information on their FAQs, their instructions say nothing.  Only the distance and placement of the anchors.

IMG_2457.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects