Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between concrete and garage floor?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to fill gap between concrete and garage floor?

I have started to clean the garage area and the concrete slab for the car driveway into the garage has the expansion material missing and grass growing so I cleaned it out and fitted new expansion material but the gap is too wide or too thin.

IMG20230616120804.jpgIMG20230616120810.jpg

IMG20230616120826.jpg

So I was thinking of adding sand over the gaps to fill in and hold the concrete expansion material better but I thought I should ask first.

IMG20230616124113.jpg

The left side of this photo show the loose channel and then it gets tight.

The other question is painting garage doors, it is a roller door and I need to clean and paint the door. Just looks a bit faded and needs refreshing if I paint the slab? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap between concrete and garage floor?

Hello @Kvic 

If parts of the gap are holding the expansion foam in place there is no need to add sand to it. The purpose of the expansion foam is to keep debris out, it also protects adjacent concrete structures and their structural steel supports. So even if some parts are loose, it's perfectly alright. 

However, if you wish to seal the top of the gap, I suggest using Gripset Betta 1L Concrete Crack Filler. The expansion filler however must be pressed down to provide a space of at least 10mm for the crack filler to settle in.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you prepare a garage floor for painting?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to apply epoxy to a garage floor by @prettyliving 

In regards to painting the garage floor, I suggest having a look at some of these discussions:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects