Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a large gap between exterior wall and carport roof?

RossK
Just Starting Out

How to fill a large gap between exterior wall and carport roof?

Hi All,

I am looking to fix a gap between the exterior wall and carport. The gap is substantial (50-100mm) in some places.

Looking for any advice on the best way to approach this.

Pictures below show the roof and the leaking ceiling underneath. There is no long term damage from this that I can see but looking to add some pegboards in the carport and can't while the water is running down the walls.

Thank you,

IMG_0761.jpegIMG_0044.PNG

2023-10-06_23-16-45.gif

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a large gap between exterior wall and carport roof

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RossK. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing roof leaks.

The issue appears to have been created or exacerbated by whoever pulled the flashing away from the wall to route the electrical cables behind it. I can't imagine any of that is compliant. I advise contacting an electrician and having them complete this job to a compliant and safe level. Instruct them that they'll need to complete the work and remove the wiring from behind the flashing. Once they've done so, you can apply Sikaflex 11FC behind the flashing and fix it back to the wall.

It would be near impossible to adequately seal the flashing as is, and the repair of this really needs to start with an electrician routing these cables in a suitable manner.

Let me tag a couple of our electrical experts @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to fill a large gap between exterior wall and carport roof

Hey @MitchellMc and @RossK unfortunately that wiring as it stands is not compliant for 2 reasons, 1. It is not mechanically protected, 2. It is UV exposed.

This needs to be rectified by a qualified electrical contractor so that it meets Australian/ New Zealand regulations.

If left unfixed there could be potential for risk for short to metal and creating a live metal structure.

Please do NOT DIY you risk potential harm and loss of insurance.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects