Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clad an old shed?

tom138
Having an Impact

How to clad an old shed?

Hi there, 

Just planning a new project here. I have this poor old shed on my property and I am looking at re-cladding it. I am getting an asbestos removal company to strip the old fibro sheets first, of course.

2BD655D4-E1BB-44BD-866D-74D58050195C.jpeg

73C62041-2FC7-443B-AAEC-CFF397B7A2EE.jpeg

The framing looks ok with studs 60cm apart:

7B23DA12-33BF-4B6E-87AF-8ED4E17C4D87.jpeg

E0169A7B-9D57-4B48-9552-2D7836FE2F73.jpeg

275CA0B3-85B3-4FB9-933C-EBDD7B107DEE.jpeg

What would be the most cost-efficient and easiest install DIY cladding for the shed?  

Thanks, 

Tom

 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to clad an old shed?

Afternoon @tom138 

So Envious! :smile: Seriously I have wanted one for my backyard for years :smile:

So here are the things I have considered if I had such a project.

- Old timber weatherboard. (Potentially free if you can find an old place getting torn down) Check local for sale sites.

- Concrete sheeting (could be expensive but maybe worthwhile in bulk james hardie 3000 x 1200 x 8.5mm hardie fine texture cladding 

- Use old recovered windows in framing it out so you end up with it kind of like a greenhouse but more solid. (potentially free)

- The fluted clear plastic sheets sunlite clear twinwall polycarbonate sheet 

What is the floor made of?

I would suggest to insulate the roof/line the ceiling as they would make it really cosy.

Cant wait to see the project!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

Thanks for sharing your question about re-cladding your old shed.

@Dave-1's suggestion are spot on. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the James Hardie 4200 x 180 x 16mm Linea Weatherboard - 4200 x 180 x 16 and the James Hardie 4200 x 230 x 7.5mm FC Woodgrain HardiPlank Weatherboard. These are external wall claddings that have the profile of wood and weather cladding.

I you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom138
Having an Impact

Hey @Dave-1 and @EricL !

Thanks for your advise! I’ve had a look at these options and was going to use one of the James Hardie products but it seems like one has to use dust reducing saw with a special blade and dust vacuum to cut them safely. And to be honest I am not a big fan of James Hardie due to their handling of asbestos-related issues.

Anyway I came across this product called Weathertex. I like that it seems to be a sustainable product and it looks like a nice material to work with as it is 97% wood. Do you have any feedback about this product? It is slightly more expensive than fibre cement sheets but not by much.

Another question - would it be a good idea to put a vapour barrier under the cladding? Something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ametalin-1370mm-x-30m-vapourtech-brane-vhp-vapour-permeable-wall-insulat...

Also - should I be thinking about some sort of window flashing?

@Dave-1 it is a concrete slab.

Thanks,,

Tom

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @tom138 

I havnt used or heard about wethertex until now. I had a look and there seems to be no bad reviews and Bunnings sells them :smile: I like it when a large company is sellingthe product as generally you know there is a lot of help available oabout it. I have the same feelinsg about teh James Hardie even tho I know it was years ago it still colours my thinking.

I have never cladded anything (Tho want to do my sunroom when I remove the colourbond cladding) but it does make sense. I am suire @EricL will know a lot more about it. 

As to window flashing Id be looking into that for sure, figuring what type of windows you want right down to how you want them to open. Up down/ or outwards. It sounds like you are heading towards making the shed waterproof :smile: I think it will look great and cant wait to see the photos.

I am trying to remember why I was asking about the concrete floor, I think it was because of water on it but if you are cladding then that should remove the chance of water running down the walls and under the timber.

Still envious!

Dave

tom138
Having an Impact

Thanks @Dave-1 , I am much more excited about the project knowing I’ll be working with wooden cladding :smile:

I liked your idea of using old cladding but it would be probably a lot more work and I have so much more to do here :smile: Also I am contemplating cladding the whole second storey of the house with this stuff so I thought why not to try the shed first and see how it looks.

Tom

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Hi @tom138 

:smile: Love the idea of testing the waters first before moving onto a larger area! Brilliant!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

Using Weathertex to cover the shed is an excellent idea as well. It has a 25-year guarantee and its almost 100 percent all natural. Its termite resistant and does not need any special tool to cut it down. In regards to the Ametalin it's definitely worth putting on, not only does provide condensation control it also provides insulation (depending on the model you purchase). I suggest going to the store and checking out the availability.    

I've have seen this used on my relative's property and it has not yet failed. It also comes in different colours so make sure to get a good look

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom138
Having an Impact

So with my other projects on hold for various reasons I’m getting back to this one.

4C44ED97-BB18-4A2B-8B93-CF2428AE73E7.jpeg

The old cladding is gone and I’ve got new Weathertex boards sitting in the garage. 

02236CC7-5015-434B-8C02-6404E793C4AC.jpeg

  

  

1A13E478-528F-41FD-B123-AA8852C4BBC0.jpeg

But as usual nothing is ever as straightforward as it looks. Upon closer inspection of the frame I discovered that one of the corner posts is badly rotten and will need replacing. What’s the best way of anchoring new post to the concrete base? I was thinking one of these u-shaped brackets but that would protrude and make cladding difficult. 

thanks!

HI @tom138 

I suggest replacing the post and putting a new one in the same construction manner. You'll notice that the base plate of the wall frame has deteriorated as well. In its original form, the corner post would have been held in place by the top/base plate, noggings, and cross brace. The base plate would have been anchored to the concrete base.

The corner post would have been attached to the top/base plate. This in effect would save you from having to install a steel stirrup. I suggest using a minimum of 12g screws along with some Anka screws for the concrete base. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it might look like.I also recommend using paintable bitumen on all the bottom timber surfaces.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Happy Holidays!

Red

Shed Frame1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects