Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a bike storage wooden shed?

DaRobba
Getting Established

How to build a bike storage wooden shed?

Hi - I'm looking for some plans and advice on building a bike and mini kids scooter shed similar to what is shown in the image below.

I have seen some sheds that i like online however looking to see if anyone has built one and can help with some plans and advice.

I already have the concrete area and looking for a shed around 2.5m (length) x 1.2m (width) and height havent decided yet.

I'd like to make sure the wood is termite resistant and what to do to protect the wood against the weather.

unnamed (1).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a bike storage wooden shed?

Hello @DaRobba

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a wooden shed.

When you build a timber shed it's often built off the ground so that the wood does not get soaked in water when it rains. In your situation, if you were to build the walls of the shed on the concrete pad the frame even though treated would get soaked in water. This will shorten the life of the timber frame, it could also lead to mould and mildew infestation. 

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Workshop shed build by @Kiwifr33. You'll notice that the base was built using DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block. This provides space and ventilation for the shed's flooring frame. Since you've mentioned that you've seen some plans online, the general building practice is to assemble the shed in sections. For example, a basic wall frame is a rectangular frame with vertical timber supports in the middle and horizontal noggins to provide rigidity. In essence, a timber frame wall is built independently and can stand on its own, but can also be anchored to other wall frames to provide strength and rigidity.

Another thing to consider is building materials, the timber frame, nails and cladding must all be rated for outside use. Using untreated timber is not ideal as when it is exposed to the weather it will deteriorate very quickly and is also subject to insect attack.

If you are still keen on having a timber shed, I propose having a look at the STILLA 1.93 x 0.94 x 1.94m Birch Cedar Shed. It has a 10-year warranty and is termite and rot-resistant. My best suggestion is to draw each section of the shed and how you plan to build them. Once you have a basic plan, share it with the community. If you have any questions about your plan we'll be more than happy to assist you.  

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @MikeTNZ, @homeinmelbourne and @Jewelleryrescue for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DaRobba,

I've had a go at breaking down your inspiration image into some renderings depicting the construction stages. I'd suggest using H3 treated 70 x 35mm Pine for the frame and cement cladding planks to cover the frame. Using a cement sheet for the roof would also be an effective solution. By using treated timber and cement-based products, you'll avoid many of the issues associated with termites and the need to treat the timber yourself for protection from the elements.

For connecting the frame pieces, I'd recommend using bugle screws, and the planks can be screwed to the frame with fibre cement screws.

If you'd like a more in-depth guide as to the assembly of this structure, feel free to check out this guide on How to build a pool pump cover. There are plenty of similarities between it and your project, and you can easily adapt the process to suit your needs.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the assembly process.

Mitchell

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Thank you so much to @EricL @MitchellMc . Glad that there’s so much help on this here. I am thinking of tweaking the roof to make it like a little house roof rather than the flat one (if you know what I mean).

Will review the pool pump example as well. Thanks again.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @DaRobba,

I applaud you using timber for a shed, however, where the timber connects to the ground, I can't stipulate enough that you have to install a bituminous sheet under the timber before this is secured to the concrete.

This gives you a moisture-proof layer between the concrete and the timber base and will prevent rotting of your timber in winter weather.

I would probably install some diagonal braces at 45 degrees in the roof part of this structure, if you experience strong winds.

Best of luck with your project, I hope it turns out OK.

Cheers,

Mike T.

DaRobba
Getting Established

Hi @MikeTNZ Thanks for the tips. I’ve been thinking exactly about this issue. What about the idea of using H4 treated pine as the base that will have contact with the concrete floor and build the timber base frame on that. I’m talking just 3 planks of the H4 treated pine.

Then for the floor that will sit on the base frame will be the particalboard yellow tongue as I saw in another post. The bike and it’s tyres will likely be wet sometimes and hopefully the above floor option will last through that?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DaRobba,

If the shed is sealed, then particleboard might work, but it's not particularly weather resistant. It does initially come with a wax coating to stave off water penetration, but once water gets inside the particle, it will deteriorate.

Using H4 timber to raise the structure is an excellent idea. Alternatively, you can use H3-treated Pine as it is rated for above and on-ground usage. Placing some plastic packers under the contact points with the slab might be best so the timber is not constantly sitting in water. 

Mitchell

1DEB9DF1-97C9-4439-9043-0CE6598E4F49.jpeg

Thanks @MitchellMc 

By the way this image shows the area and dimensions of where the shed is to go.

What would you recommend as a floor. One option is to simply use the concrete as the floor which I think might be the most cost effective approach. 
Simply use H3 pine as the rectangular base border (or sleepers), and build the frame around it. So the concrete base simply remains as the floor. Make sure it’s sealed all around to prevent water for coming in.

I am still looking at various cladding options. The Hardie range suggested earlier is still an option but I am still looking for a wood like finish on the exterior that will only require low maintenance every couple years or so. Are there any timber/wood shiplap (excuse if the term is incorrect) options for cladding?

Its slow progress as I’m drawing up plans still before I start to purchase and build.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DaRobba

I propose building a frame for your flooring, In that manner, any rainwater that passes under the shed will not soak the flooring. I recommend using Marine Plywood for your flooring and for your walls, I suggest having a look at CSR Cemintel 16 x 455 x 3030mm Teak Territory Woodlands Panels - 2 Pack and the Weathertex 3660 x 1196mm x 9.5mm 150mm Weathergroove Woodsman as possible options for your outdoor cladding.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DaRobba,

Hope all is well.

Just wondering whether you proceeded with this project? If so, it would be great to see what you achieved. I'm sure our community members would be really inspired. 

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects