Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add insulation to Colorbond shed walls?

CrankCo
Just Starting Out

How to add insulation to Colorbond shed walls?

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions as to affixing insulation to colorbond shed walls. I was originally thinking of just chucking in battens in the spacings before screwing plywood to the internal facing beams. However the moisture factor got me thinking - are the ridges in the colorbond enough for the insulation to breath? I was also considering Sikaflexing foilboards onto the colorbond, and then plywooding the internal facing walls. 

20230606_161028.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to add insulation to Colorbond shed walls?

Hi @CrankCo,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us and hope you will find the site a great resource for all your D.I.Y. and garden projects. 

Thank you for your question on insulating your shed. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL should be able to assist you when he's back online later today. Also tagging @Adam_W@DIYgals@Itai and @TheSaltyreefer in case they have any thoughts.  

In the meantime, I'd encourage you to check out this Best Advice article on How do you add insulation to a garage or shed?.

Insulating sheds is a popular topic within the community, and you might like to read through these previous discussions for ideas:

Hope this helps. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add insulation to Colorbond shed walls?

Hi @CrankCo 

Thanks for sharing your question about adding insulation to your Colorbond shed walls. 

I propose putting builder's plastic first then mount the battens on the steel rails of the shed rather than in the spacings. The gap between the builder's plastic and your shed wall will act as an air gap between the wall and your insulation. This will prevent moisture contamination and thermal transfer from happening. 

I don't recommend using foil board on your shed walls as condensation will develop between the adhesive and the steel shed walls, and they will end up failing.

I also suggest having a look at these discussions regarding insulation:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects