Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much to lay concrete base for carport?

southpolemonkey
Cultivating a Following

How much to lay concrete base for carport?

Hi Bunnings community members.

I'm looking to concrete a 16sqm area for future carport build.The previous owner put gravel for aesthetic purpose but get slippery and cause trip hazard.

I've removed most gravel myself.

To get the area concreted 100m depth with steel mesh, how much would I expect to pay a professional?

I'm based in Sydney.

Many thanks

IMG_6826.JPG

Re: How much to lay concrete base for carport?

@southpolemonkey 

hahahahah Thats a nicer looking post! And 100mm fall may be more then I would use safely. Thats a pretty steep fall in a short distance. Are you talking about an overall fall over say 3m or over a smaller distance?

If you are thinking of doing something like that then it would be wise to look into the tensile strength of the bolts (Ive had a google at the info but always feel odd at posting outside sites in here :smile: ) There is a maximum distance unsupported, Even with the concrete formed around it later on. I am starting to think due to your requirments (steepness/slope on the bottom side) it may be an idea to hit up a builder or talk to the fence/carport people you are purchasing from. That way you will have accurate advice for the product itself.

I have a sloping driveway and you have given me thought on how I would do it myself...  Mmm I think Id go for an oversized span so the posts will go into new concrete bases that will be level and specific for the carport rather then try and either cut or level by the way I suggested) If you take a look at my profile you will see a few shots of the driveway and it looks steeper or the same as yours.

Dave

southpolemonkey
Cultivating a Following

@Dave-1 

The pebble area is not big enough unfortunately (4.5m in length on shorted side), so the post will sit into the existed concrete.

Found an image similar to what I'm thinking.

southpolemonkey_3-1698973854475.png

Afternoon @southpolemonkey 

How about something like this, The blue is for new concrete footings and the red for the supports. It will stretch over and outside the parking area to give more space for the car?

Dave

IMG_6826b.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects