Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you dynabolt a metal frame to a concrete slab?

Martinb
Cultivating a Following

How do you dynabolt a metal frame to a concrete slab?

I am by myself and for stability I have erected the frame by temporarily slotting the sleeves into each other and it is stable on a level slab, but now I have to dynabolt the frame to the slab. Maybe I have gone about this backwards could you please advise me on further directions.

20230209_075516.jpg20230209_075547.jpg20230209_075607.jpg 

Re: How do you dynabolt a metal frame to a concrete slab?

Hi Martin @Martinb 

"but I will be off my feet for a couple of weeks due to a procedure in hospital"

Have you had the surgery? Hope it goes well or is going to go well, but you appear to be at the job site already?

@MitchellMcand @EricL 's advice on squaring up the frame is excellent.

Pondering your problem in the present heat - I now feel if I was in your exact situation I would now ignore all my 'advice' I typed above. Once 'I' have positioned the frame and corrected the diagonals - I'd be welding pre-drilled plates to each corner so my rotary hammer drill has free unadulterated access, and to hell with the other holes. I would also be using concrete bolts.

I like @MitchellMc 's barbecue idea! 😁

Speedy recovery!

Scan1255.jpg

Martinb
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

That is a good idea with the ratchet straps I will try that and let you know how it goes ok thanks mate.

Regards

Martin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Martinb, and I hope you have a speedy recovery after your hospital visit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Martinb
Cultivating a Following

If I had a welder that would be fantastic. I have had the surgery, which was good, but have to stay off my feet for 7 - 10 days...unfortunately.

Martinb
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Mitchell, is it best to have the ratchets near the bottom where the poles are or half way up?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Martinb 

If you have an extra set of ratchets place one set near the bottom and one set near the top. Your goal is to simulate the effect of the poles being screwed together. However, before you begin using the ratchet, I suggest double-checking that the poles are in the correct order and not switched around. In theory, the steel frame should be very square unless an error was made during the cutting process.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Martinb
Cultivating a Following

Hi EricL

I have both ratchets positioned about 30cm up from the slab and are both within about 20mm of each other. I checked to top cross poles and they are all 90 degrees with the down poles. My trouble is I have no one to help me move it over so I can drill the holes and my wife can't do it so I might have to drag it over bit by bit and hope it does not go out of square.20230213_191847.jpg

20230213_191909.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work @Martinb. Since you've now marked the holes, even if the frame goes out of square when moved over and back again, you should have the holes as a reference to square it back up.

I'd really encourage you to try and get someone to assist you in moving the frame. Any neighbours you could persuade with a six-pack of beer?

Mitchell

Martinb
Cultivating a Following

Hi MitchellMc,

My brother in law is going to give me some help but is pretty busy so I will just have to wait don't want to injure myself.Some of the holes are going to be 25-50mm from the edge, are there any strong glues that can be used that have almost the same strength as bolts?

Martin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Martinb,

@EricL mentioned above the Ramset AnkaScrews and the Ramset Chemset systems. These are excellent options when working close to an edge. I've added some technical information about the Ankascrews below. If these won't work, then you can glue threaded rods into the holes with the Chemset product.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects